Who writes the law?

emma gomez made this Freedom of Information request to House of Lords

This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.

House of Lords did not have the information requested.

Dear House of Lords,

Please tell me who writes the law of UK? Does England still exist as an entity? If so who writes the law of England? What Dictionaries are used?Who is responsible for ensuring that UK Parliament or England Parliament acts within International laws? If International laws are broken by UK or England who is responsible for ensuring that the laws are upheld and for accountability? Are UK Parliament above the International laws?

Yours faithfully,

emma gomez

House of Lords Information Office, House of Lords

Thank you for your email.

The House of Lords Information Office receives large numbers of emails and we aim to reply within 10 working days. If you need the information sooner please telephone the House of Lords Information Office on 020 7219 3107.

The following information may answer many of your enquiries.

House of Lords
If you have access to the internet you may find the answers to most of your queries on the House of Lords pages of the Parliament website: http://www.parliament.uk/lords

House of Lords Press Office
If you are a member of the press and wish to contact the House of Lords Press Office please call 020 7219 8550.

House of Lords What’s on Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly email featuring updates on the latest news, legislation, committee work and discussions happening in the Lords by subject area:

House of Lords publications
Order or download our free information resources explaining the role, work and membership of the House:

Judicial Questions
For information about appeal cases, please contact the Supreme Court:

The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
Parliament Square

Tel: 020 7960 1991/1992
Fax: 020 7960 1901

Appointments to the House of Lords
For queries about appointments to the House of Lords, contact the House of Lords Appointments Commission, which is a separate independent body and NOT part of the House of Lords:

House of Lords Appointments Commission
G/05, Ground Floor
1 Horse Guards Road

Tel: 020 7271 0848
Email: [email address]<mailto:[email address]>
Website: http://lordsappointments.independent.gov...

Please be aware that blind copied emails will not be received.

Thank you.

show quoted sections

HOL FOI & Information Compliance, House of Lords

Dear Ms. Gomez,


I am writing in response to your e-mail entitled “Who writes the Law?”


It may be helpful if I explain that the Freedom of Information Act 2000
provides a right of access to information held in recorded form, at the
time the request is received.  As the following guidance produced by the
Information Commissioner’s Office explains:  



“Your request can be in the form of a question, rather than a request for
specific documents, but the authority does not have to answer your
question if this would mean creating new information or giving an opinion
or judgment that is not already recorded”.


In formal Freedom of Information terms, the House of Lords Administration
does not already hold recorded information to answer your questions. 


Parliament’s role is to debate and pass legislation. The Office of the
Parliamentary Counsel, which is part of the Cabinet Office, is responsible
for drafting government bills.   You may find the following information
published on the Government’s website helpful:






You may, if dissatisfied with the treatment of your request for
information, ask the House of Lords to conduct an internal review. 
Requests for an internal review should be addressed to
[4][email address] or to the Freedom of Information Officer, House
of Lords, London SW1A 0PW, and set out the nature of your complaint. 

Arrangements will be made for someone who has not been involved in dealing
with your request to conduct an internal review. Our aim is to complete
internal reviews within 20 working days.


If, following this review, you remain dissatisfied with the House’s
treatment of your request for information then you may take your complaint
to the Information Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow,
Cheshire. SK9 5AF.


Yours sincerely,




Frances Grey

Freedom of Information Officer

House of Lords



show quoted sections