Who agrees to the detention of young children?
Sophie made this Freedom of Information request to Birmingham Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.
Dear Birmingham Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust,
1. How many children aged 13 (year 8 pupils) were inpatients of a psychiatric ward in the last 12 months for which records are held?
2 Of those children relevant to question 1 please answer the following:
A. how many were in Local authority care ie under a Care Order?
B. how many were parented by special guardians?
C. How many were parented by their birth parents?
3. How many 13 year olds detained under the MHA 1983 were deemed to be Gillick competent?
4. In relation to answers given to question 2, please state whether the child gave their consent or whether the parent/guardian or local authority consented in the absence of consent from the child.
5. Of those children relevant to question 2, how many were under section 3?
6. How many complaints were made by 13 year olds about their care/treatment?
7. How many 13 year old children ran away or attempted to run away from inpatient care in the last 12 months that records are held?
8. How many 13 year olds relevant to question 1 were diagnosed with a mental illness/mental disorder?
9. In what circumstances is a mother with parental responsibility refused any information regarding their detained 13 year old child?
10. In cases where a 13 year old child has been detained under the Mental Health Act by a Local Authority or a Special Guardian, and the child has requested contact with their parent, how many children have been refused/provided the contact requested during the last 12 months?
11. According to the guidelines, to what extent is a 13 year old child's wishes and feelings taken into account when deciding the child's treatment?
12. In the last 12 months, has any detained child successfully displaced the nearest relative?
Please accept this email as formal acknowledgement of your request for information dated 03/11/2013
This request will be processed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and unless you are otherwise informed, your request will be processed within a maximum of twenty working days from receipt, which in this case was 04/11/2013
At this moment, we are unaware of any fees, charges or exemptions likely to be applied to your request. However, if during the course of processing your application it becomes clear that fees will apply, we will inform you of this. In the event that costs are applicable, no information will be provided unless the costs are paid within three months of us informing you. In the event that some or all of the information you have requested is exempt from disclosure, we will inform you of this.
We will also contact you if during the process it emerges that we do not have sufficient detail to locate the information or we are unclear exactly what it is that you have requested.
In the meantime if you wish to discuss any aspect of your request please feel free to contact me on the details above.
Publication Scheme Co-ordinator
Please find attached the Trust's response to your freedom of information
Publication Scheme Coordinator
This material has been checked by us for computer viruses using
Sophos Anti-Virus and although no virus has been found by us, we cannot
guarantee that it is completely free from such problems and we do not
accept any liability for loss or damage which may be caused. This
communication is intended solely for the addressee and is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Any information, materials, graphics, and/or opinions posted by the
sender are those of the respective sender and do not necessarily reflect
the opinion of Birmingham Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
unless explicitly stated to the contrary.
Find out how to fundraise for Birmingham Children's Hospital at www.bch.nhs.uk
Dear Freedom Of Information (RQ3) BCH,
Has this information been passed to the Health and Social Care commission? They don't appear to have it.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now