Use of SAP gloves in policing Barton Moss Protest

Greater Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner did not have the information requested.

Dear Greater Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner,

1. Please state if SAP gloves are standard issue at GMP.

2. If SAP gloves are not standard issue, please detail
a) in what circumstances and
b) which officers are selected for using them.

3. Please see:

youtube video

and photograph

illustrating selective use of gloves on Barton Moss Road, 26th February 2014 and give the name of the Commanding Officer who authorized their use in the case of officer 13529.

4. Please detail all and any circumstances in which you are advised against use of these gloves, to include
a) parts of the body their use is prohibited on/
b) any persons/any eventuality/medical condition their use if prohibited.

Yours faithfully,

Helen Chuntso


Thank you for your email. Emails are treated in the same manner and with the same level of importance as other communications such as post, telephone and fax. Nevertheless we will respond to you promptly.
If your email relates to a complaint or general enquiry, please note the following information.
The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner is separate to Greater Manchester Police. If you are trying to report a crime, please call 999 in an emergency or 101 for non emergency issues.
The Commissioner represents the people of Greater Manchester and as such we would ask that you provide the following information:
- your full name
- your full postal address including postcode
- contact telephone number
Tony Lloyd will always try to help people who are having problems with the Police. His office does not have investigatory powers nor can the Commissioner’s office act as an appeals process for decisions already made. Tony Lloyd will forward your complaint to the Police complaints process or, if necessary, raise concerns with Police officers at the appropriate level, be that the relevant area Commander or Chief Constable.
You can of course make an official complaint direct to Greater Manchester Police, you can find out more about that here
The Independent Police Complaints Commission can also be contacted; more information about their processes can be found here
Thank you again for getting in touch. We will reply to your email as soon as possible.

Park, Nikki,

Dear Helen

Thank you for your email.

The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Greater Manchester does not hold specific information with regards to the use of SAP gloves.

Please could I ask that you direct your request to the Freedom of Information Team at Greater Manchester Police using the following email address:

[email address]

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards

Nikki Park
Head of Executive Services
Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Greater Manchester
Civic Centre Complex
Chorley Road
M27 5DA
0161 793 3036
[email address]
Find us on
Talk to us on

show quoted sections