Urgent Publication of New Relevant Home Office Country Policy Information Note on Zimbabwe after Robert Mugabe’s Downfall
Dear Home Office,
Having regard to the following:
• The military intervention of 15 November 2017 in Zimbabwe;
• Robert Gabriel Mugabe’s resignation as the President of Zimbabwe on 21 November 2017 and Emmerson Dambudzo Mngangagwa’s inauguration as the President of Zimbabwe on 24 November 2017;
• The fact that the Country Policy and Information Note: Opposition to the government, Zimbabwe, January 2017, remains published on the Home Office website yet out of date;
• That there are significant numbers of Zimbabwean asylum claimants and appellants awaiting resolution of their claims;
• That the Zimbabwean Government under Robert Mugabe rule ‘s refused to issue Emergency Travel Documents to non- consenting Zimbabwean returnees from the UK without valid passports,
Please can I request information in relation to the following?
1) Have Home Office Caseworkers currently been instructed to pause in their consideration and decision-making of Zimbabwean protection claims pending publication of a relevant Country Information Policy Note in relation to those opposed to the Zimbabwean Government?
2) Where internal Home office consideration of protection claims continues, which Country Information Notes are Home Office Caseworkers taking into account when considering claims from Zimbabwean nationals fearing return to Zimbabwe on account of opposition to the Zimbabwean Government?
3) When will a relevant updated Country Information Note be published by the Home Office in relation to consideration of protection claims from those opposed to the Zimbabwean Government?
4) Has agreement been reached between the UK Government and the Zimbabwean Government in relation to whether the Zimbabwean authorities will agree to issue Emergency Travel Documents for non-consenting undocumented Zimbabwean returnees who are without valid national passports?
I look forward to hearing from you in relation to the above.
Dear Alice Muzira,
Thank you for contacting the Home Office with your request.
This email has been assigned to a caseworker case ref 46358. We will aim to send you a full response by 27/12/2017 which is twenty working days from the date we received your request.
If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to contact us.
Dear Ms Muzira
Please find enclosed response to your Freedom of Information Request.
Information Rights Team
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now