To whom it may concern,
This is a request for information through the Freedom of Information Act.
1. What was the total market value of the university’s investment portfolio(s) on the 31st July 2021? If you are going to provide this information through your Annual Accounts/Financial Statements, please provide the specific page number, section and row that the value can be found on. For example, page 28, section 5 “Investments”, line “overall investment value”.
2. On the 31st July 2021, were the institution's investment portfolio(s) managed directly by the institution, indirectly by [an] external fund manager(s), or a combination of both?
3. If the university uses external fund manager(s) to manage investment portfolios, please provide the name of each fund manager used, along with the percentage of the total investment funds that they were managing on the 31st July 2021.
Please present this information in this format:
Fund manager name -- Percentage of total investment funds managed
Schroders -- 47%
CCLA -- 49%
University -- 4%
4. If the institution invests directly, please provide the details of companies invested in (by way of all investment portfolios), including the full names of each company invested in, and the market value invested in each company on the 31st July 2021. Please provide this information in a spreadsheet format.
5. If the university holds investments through [an] external fund manager(s), please provide the investment portfolio for that manager on the 31st July 2021, including the market value for each company that forms part of your investment portfolio(s) with them. Please provide this information at a company level in a spreadsheet and/or the format that this information is provided to you by your fund manager(s). For example, see here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1...
6. Does the institution have an ethical investment policy, or similar? If so, please state if it is publicly-available, and provide a web link.
If applicable, in response to any of the above information requested, please confirm that the University does not hold this information.
Please confirm receipt of this request and we look forward to hearing back from you within the next 20 working days.
Dear University College Birmingham,
Could you please advise when a response is likely to be received to my Freedom of Information request about 'University Investment Portfolio Statistics'?
Under the Act a response should generally be received within 20 working days of receiving the request (29th October). Of course, we fully understand and empathise with the challenging circumstances universities continue to face at the moment and have given additional time from that date before reaching out to you again.
We would be most grateful to receive a response or a time-frame within which one will be received.
Kind Regards and looking forward to hearing from you,
Dear University College Birmingham,
Please pass this on to the person who conducts Freedom of Information reviews.
I am writing to request an internal review of the University's handling of my FOI request 'University Investment Portfolio Statistics'.
The request was sent on the 1st October and the 20 day response window has now been exceeded.
Please may I remind you that guidance published by the Information Commissioner's Office states internal reviews should ideally take no longer than 20 working days.
In response to your specific questions:
1. This information is attached.
2. They were managed by external managers.
3. The investments are approximately 50% managed by UBS and 50% by Investec.
5. The University does not hold this information. If helpful, more up to date portfolios can be provided.
6. This information is attached.
University Secretary and Registrar
University College Birmingham
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now