Dear British Broadcasting Corporation,
I am making this request for information under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
The BBC and TV Licensing have confirmed that there was a data security breach of the TV Licensing website between 29th August and 5th September 2018.
Information held by the TV Licensing Blog confirms that concerns were raised about the security of the TV Licensing website more than six months earlier. These concerns were dismissed by TV Licensing.
Please provide the following information in relation to this data security breach:
1. The number of customers whose personal data was compromised.
2. The nature of the customer personal data compromised - e.g. did it include names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, bank details etc?
3. The number of customers who complained to the BBC and/or TV Licensing as a result of this data security breach.
4. The number of customers who were financially compensated as a result of losses incurred due to this data breach.
5. The cumulative total paid in compensation to those customers.
6. The highest individual compensation payment to a customer.
By "customer" I mean any member of the public TV Licensing has dealings with, irrespective of their legal need or otherwise for a TV licence.
In accordance with section 11 of the Act, I require your response to be delivered in electronic format to the return email address associated with this request.
I look forward to your timely and concise response, in accordance with the requirements of the Act.
Lead author of the TV Licensing Blog
Dear Peter Jones
Thank you for your request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, as detailed in your email below. Your request was received on 11th May 2020. We will deal with your request as promptly as possible, and at the latest within 20 working days. If you have any queries about your request, please contact us at the address below.
The reference number for your request is RFI20200564.
BBC Freedom of Information
BC2 A4, Broadcast Centre
201 Wood Lane
London W12 7TP
Email: [BBC request email]
Dear Mr Jones,
Please find attached our response to your request for information
Information Rights, BBC Legal
BC2A4 | Broadcast Centre | 201 Wood Lane | London | W12 7TP
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now