We don't know whether the most recent response to this request contains information or not – if you are Sergio please sign in and let everyone know.

Traveling out of UK while waiting for residence card (family of EEA national)

We're waiting for Sergio to read a recent response and update the status.

Dear Home Office,

I'm a full time employed EEA national (Italian citizen) living in UK with my family since January/2018.
My wife is not an EEA national (Brazilian citizen) and we applied on beginning of March/2018 for her residence card using my condition of EEA QP.
We would like to visit our family in Brazil in July/August, but the 6 months period for response of her residence card application will be finished only by September/2018, so after our planned travel to Brazil.
Is it OK for her to travel to Brazil while waiting for the residence card?
We will be coming back to UK together by end of August and I'm afraid she might have problems to re-entry the country.

Yours faithfully,

FOI Requests, Home Office


Please be aware that we have decided to handle your correspondence of 9 April outside the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. This is because it does not meet the criteria for a Freedom of Information request, as it does not ask for recorded information.

Below is a link to the ICO guidance for the criteria for valid requests under the Act:

We will provide an answer to your query, but it will be answer outside of the provisions of the Act.  You should expect to receive a response in due course.

Thank you,

P. Zebedee
FOI Requests
Home Office

show quoted sections

UK Visas and Immigration,

Dear Sergio,
Thank you for your email dated 30th March regarding travelling outside the
If you travel outside the UK while you have an application in progress,
this will be at your own risk. The caseworking team may request additional
information at any time and it is your responsibility to ensure any
requests are met within the time given.
With regards to re-entering the UK, Border Force staff based at ports of
entry, decide whether to grant entry to a person arriving into the United
Kingdom through immigration control. This is done at the time of arrival
on a case by case basis. We cannot advise on a case in advance of that
Please be informed that when entering or re-entering the UK, a foreign
national will be required to show a valid visa allowing them entry to the
UK, if applicable. You will also need evidence to prove that you are
entering or re-entering for the same purpose as on the visa.
For further assistance in regards to border control please see the below
If you need further assistance as to whether you need a visa to enter the
UK please click on the following link:
Please note the onus is upon individual customers to ensure that they
satisfy the
requirements set out in the guidance material. The guidance material
accompanies each
and every application form. UK Visas and Immigration is not able to give,
indicate or
advise upon the outcome of any such application prior to it being given
full and
careful consideration.

Directing you to the guidance material is the only advice we can give you.
If you need
any further help you should seek independent immigration advice.
Immigration advisers
can help you with immigration matters, including completion of forms and
you at a tribunal. The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
regulates immigration advisers, which mean they must meet certain
Please see the below link to find an immigration adviser:


Yours Faithfully,

Fiona Brunton
UK Visa and Immigration



UKVI Contact Centre

Website: [4]www.gov.uk/home-office




Visible links
1. Click to follow link: https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control
2. Click to follow link: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
3. Click to follow link: https://www.gov.uk/find-an-immigration-a...
4. http://www.gov.uk/home-office

We don't know whether the most recent response to this request contains information or not – if you are Sergio please sign in and let everyone know.

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site AskTheEU.org . Find out more .