Transiting via the UK to Ireland and landing cards for EU families

The request was successful.

Dear Home Office,

Is one (an EU family memeber traveling with a the EU citizen spouse under the directive 3004/38/EC) required to fill a landing card whilst transiting a UK airport to Ireland. The EU fam card already exempts one’s family member from having a visa (EEA family permit).

And what stamp must be placed on the family members passport?.

Yours faithfully,


FOI Requests, Home Office

Please be aware that we have decided to handle your correspondence of 28 June 2018 outside the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. This is because it does not meet the criteria for a Freedom of Information request, as it does not ask for recorded information.

Below is a link to the ICO guidance for the criteria for valid requests under the Act:

We will provide an answer to your query, but it will be answer outside of the provisions of the Act.  You should expect to receive a response in due course.

FOI Requests

show quoted sections

BF NICE, Home Office

1 Attachment

Dear Sir/Madam,


Thank you for your enquiry.


If a valid EEA family permit is presented at UK passport control, as the
holder is transiting landside, a landing card is required and the permit
will be date stamp on 1^st use. Subsequent uses of the permit by the
holder no land card is required and the permit will not be stamped.


If a valid UK issued  residence card for a EEA family member is presented
no landing card is required and passport/card will not be stamped.






The Duty Officer

Border Force National Immigration & Customs Enquiries (BF NICE)


[1]Border Force_4CP_AW



show quoted sections