Total Cost of Running Parliament

The request is waiting for clarification. If you are iain, please sign in to send a follow up message.

Dear House of Commons,

I would like to submit a FOI for the 'Total Running Costs of Parliament'.

This would include:
Costs for MP's 'Away from Home Allowance'
Attendance fees
Vehicles-rental,lease and owned
Staff,ancillary and direct.
Running costs of the site as a whole.
MP's Wage Bill.
MP's Expenses.
PM's visits/security costs

Basically the total costs for running the whole house and 650 MP's + 1 PM

Yours faithfully,


FOICOMMONS, House of Commons

Dear Iain

Thank you for your request for information dated 20th March 2012, received by us on the same date.

We will endeavour to respond to your request promptly but in any case within 20 working days i.e. on or before 18th April 2012.

If you have any queries about your request, please use the request number quoted in the subject line of this email.

Yours sincerely

Frances Sheehan
IRIS Support Officer

show quoted sections

FOICOMMONS, House of Commons

Dear Iain,

Thank you for your request for information which is copied below.

The House of Commons reports its annual expenditure through the Administration Resource Accounts and Members Resource Accounts. Copies of these are available on the parliamentary website ( Responsibility for Members’ pay and allowances transferred to the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) following the 2010 General Election . Ministerial costs are borne by the respective government department, which would be the Cabinet Office for the Prime Minister . You may wish to consider contacting these public authorities or visit their websites for further information.

You may, if dissatisfied with the treatment of your request, ask the House of Commons to conduct an internal review of this decision. Requests for internal review should be addressed to: Freedom of Information Officer, Department of Resources, House of Commons London SW1A OAA or [House of Commons request email] . Please ensure that you specify the nature of your complaint and any arguments or points that you wish to make.

If you remain dissatisfied, you may appeal to the Information Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.

Yours sincerely

Katarina Ndrepepaj | Freedom of Information Coordinator
Information Rights and Information Security (IRIS) Service
House of Commons

show quoted sections

Karen McDonald left an annotation ()

So - they don't know how much the total cost is. That is scary!

James Holden left an annotation ()

Karen - I don't think that's the case at all. It is standard practice when responding to FOI requests to post a link to the information if it is already publicly available.

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .