Tobacco investments held by local authority pension fund
Rob Davies made this Freedom of Information request to Caerphilly County Borough Council as part of a batch sent to 447 authorities
This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.
Dear Caerphilly County Borough Council,
I am seeking information about the value of the local authority pension fund’s investment in tobacco shares and bonds, as well as the income from those investments. Please provide whatever answers you can to the following.
1. What is the most recent available value of the local authority's pension fund?
2. What is the value of the fund’s directly-held investment in shares or bonds of the following companies: British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Japan Tobacco International, Altria Group Inc, Philip Morris International, Universal Corp, Alliance One International?
3. What is the total combined value of the fund’s directly-held investments in the companies named above?
4. What income did the fund receive from these investments in the last 12-month period for which records are available?
5. Does the fund have any other investments in tobacco via pooled investments? What is the value of these?
6. What is the local authority’s annual spend on smoking-related illness?
7. Please supply the number of deaths attributable to smoking in the local authority areas covered by your pension fund. Your Director of Public Health or equivalent should be able to supply this figure.
If you require clarification on any of the above questions, please get in touch on 0203 353 3616, or 07415154041 or email me at [email address]
Thank you for your recent request for information. Please find attached an acknowledgement for this request.
Dear Rob Davies
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 - INFORMATION REQUEST
Unfortunately this Authority does not hold information regarding pensions
as we do not manage a pension fund.
However, we believe information of this nature may be held by the two
local authorities which operate pensions to which Caerphilly contributes.
These authorities will also be covered by the Freedom of Information Act.
Their contact details are:
Greater Gwent (Torfaen) Pension Fund
Torfaen County Borough Council
Rhondda Cynon Taff Pension Fund
Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC
Rhondda Cynon Taf
We are sorry that we cannot help further on this occasion but if you are
in any way dissatisfied with the handling of your request, or have any
further information needs in the future then please contact me.
Finance Manager â€“ Corporate Services
Freedom of Information Act 2000 / Environmental Information Regulations
You have the right to appeal against our decision.
If you wish to appeal please set If you are unhappy with that decision you
out in writing your grounds of have the right to appeal to:
appeal and send to:
Information Unit Information Commissionerâ€™s Office â€“
Caerphilly county borough Wales
council, 2nd Floor, Churchill House
Penallta House Churchill Way
Tredomen Park Cardiff CF10 2HH
Hengoed. CF82 7PG
Tel: 029 2067 8400
Appeals will be determined by an Fax: 029 2067 8399
appropriate senior officer Email: [email address]
Re-use of information without permission may infringe the Copyright,
Designs and Patents Act 1988. Re-use can include, but is not limited to,
making multiple copies, publishing and issuing copies of the information
to a wider audience. If you would like to re-use copyright material owned
by Caerphilly County Borough Council, please contact us. Authorisation to
re-use copyright material not owned by this Authority should be sought
directly from the copyright owner.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now