Tobacco investments held by local authority pension fund
Dear Torridge District Council,
I am seeking information about the value of the local authority pension fund’s investment in tobacco shares and bonds, as well as the income from those investments. Please provide whatever answers you can to the following.
1. What is the most recent available value of the local authority's pension fund?
2. What is the value of the fund’s directly-held investment in shares or bonds of the following companies: British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Japan Tobacco International, Altria Group Inc, Philip Morris International, Universal Corp, Alliance One International?
3. What is the total combined value of the fund’s directly-held investments in the companies named above?
4. What income did the fund receive from these investments in the last 12-month period for which records are available?
5. Does the fund have any other investments in tobacco via pooled investments? What is the value of these?
6. What is the local authority’s annual spend on smoking-related illness?
7. Please supply the number of deaths attributable to smoking in the local authority areas covered by your pension fund. Your Director of Public Health or equivalent should be able to supply this figure.
If you require clarification on any of the above questions, please get in touch on 0203 353 3616, or 07415154041 or email me at [email address]
Thank you for your information request which is receiving attention. We will respond to your request within the 20 working day statutory deadline.
Please do not reply to this auto acknowledgement.
Thank you for your Freedom of Information request.
I am advised that Torridge District Council does not hold any of this information. This comes within the remit of Devon County Council.
In case you haven’t already contacted them further details can be found via this link: https://new.devon.gov.uk/accesstoinforma...
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request, you have the right to ask for an internal review. Internal review requests should be submitted within two months of the date of receipt of the response to your original request and should be addressed to: Freedom of Information Officer at Torridge District Council, Riverbank House, Bideford EX39 2QG
If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
With kind regards.
Torridge District Council
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now