Tobacco investments held by local authority pension fund
Dear Staffordshire County Council,
I am seeking information about the value of the local authority pension fund’s investment in tobacco shares and bonds, as well as the income from those investments. Please provide whatever answers you can to the following.
1. What is the most recent available value of the local authority's pension fund?
2. What is the value of the fund’s directly-held investment in shares or bonds of the following companies: British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Japan Tobacco International, Altria Group Inc, Philip Morris International, Universal Corp, Alliance One International?
3. What is the total combined value of the fund’s directly-held investments in the companies named above?
4. What income did the fund receive from these investments in the last 12-month period for which records are available?
5. Does the fund have any other investments in tobacco via pooled investments? What is the value of these?
6. What is the local authority’s annual spend on smoking-related illness?
7. Please supply the number of deaths attributable to smoking in the local authority areas covered by your pension fund. Your Director of Public Health or equivalent should be able to supply this figure.
If you require clarification on any of the above questions, please get in touch on 0203 353 3616, or 07415154041 or email me at [email address]
Thank you for your email, your request is being dealt with under the
statutory requirements and will be answered within the given time scale.
Information Governance Unit, Access Team
Information Governance Unit,
Strategy, Governance & Change
Staffordshire Place 1,
Email: [email address]
Staffordshire County Council
A Connected Staffordshire where everyone can prosper and be healthy and happy
Find out more by visiting the Staffordshire County Council website.
Sign up for free alerts and newsletters straight to your email or mobile
phone to receive county council news and information on topics important to you.
Save time and download MyStaffs mobile app available on Android and iOS
Follow the county council on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube
Thank you for your request for information.
We have completed a search of our records and please find Staffordshire County Council's response attached.
If you have any queries or require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
In the first instance if you have any comments relating to how your request has been handled by our authority, please write to Lian Stibbs, Access Manager, Information Governance, Information Governance Unit, Staffordshire County Council, 3rd Floor, Staffordshire Place 2, Stafford, ST16 2LP or [email address] .
If you have any further comments relating to how your request has been handled by our authority, please contact the Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Gemma Allen | Access to Information Officer
Information Governance Unit
Strategy, Governance & Change
Forth Floor, Staffordshire Place 1
Tipping Street, Stafford, ST16 2DH
T: [email address]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now