Tobacco investments held by local authority pension fund
Dear Gedling Borough Council,
I am seeking information about the value of the local authority pension fund’s investment in tobacco shares and bonds, as well as the income from those investments. Please provide whatever answers you can to the following.
1. What is the most recent available value of the local authority's pension fund?
2. What is the value of the fund’s directly-held investment in shares or bonds of the following companies: British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Japan Tobacco International, Altria Group Inc, Philip Morris International, Universal Corp, Alliance One International?
3. What is the total combined value of the fund’s directly-held investments in the companies named above?
4. What income did the fund receive from these investments in the last 12-month period for which records are available?
5. Does the fund have any other investments in tobacco via pooled investments? What is the value of these?
6. What is the local authority’s annual spend on smoking-related illness?
7. Please supply the number of deaths attributable to smoking in the local authority areas covered by your pension fund. Your Director of Public Health or equivalent should be able to supply this figure.
If you require clarification on any of the above questions, please get in touch on 0203 353 3616, or 07415154041 or email me at [email address]
Further to your request for information of 17 April 2018, please find
attached our response.
Legal Services Support Officer
Gedling Borough Council
Civic Centre, Arnot Hill Park
Arnold, Nottingham NG5 6LU
ADM000595 / 00030286
Please read the following carefully.
The information in this Email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. Senders and recipients of any email should be aware that, under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the contents may have to be disclosed in response to a request made to the Authority.
If you have received the Email in error please notify [email address]. Any views expressed by an individual within this Email, which do not constitute or record technical advice, do not necessarily reflect the views of the council. The Email has been checked for viruses. We do however recommend that you perform your own scan of any attachments (if any). We cannot accept any responsibility for transmitted viruses.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now