Tobacco investments held by local authority pension fund
Dear Epping Forest District Council,
I am seeking information about the value of the local authority pension fund’s investment in tobacco shares and bonds, as well as the income from those investments. Please provide whatever answers you can to the following.
1. What is the most recent available value of the local authority's pension fund?
2. What is the value of the fund’s directly-held investment in shares or bonds of the following companies: British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Japan Tobacco International, Altria Group Inc, Philip Morris International, Universal Corp, Alliance One International?
3. What is the total combined value of the fund’s directly-held investments in the companies named above?
4. What income did the fund receive from these investments in the last 12-month period for which records are available?
5. Does the fund have any other investments in tobacco via pooled investments? What is the value of these?
6. What is the local authority’s annual spend on smoking-related illness?
7. Please supply the number of deaths attributable to smoking in the local authority areas covered by your pension fund. Your Director of Public Health or equivalent should be able to supply this figure.
If you require clarification on any of the above questions, please get in touch on 0203 353 3616, or 07415154041 or email me at [email address]
I refer to your recent Freedom of Information request.
The information that you have requested is not held by Epping Forest
District Council. The administration of the Local Government Pension
Scheme within the Epping Forest District are the responsibility of Essex
County Council, who may hold the information that you are seeking. If you
have not already done so, you may therefore wish to contact the County
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your Freedom of Information
request by Epping Forest District Council, you have the right to ask for
an internal review. Internal review requests should be submitted within
two months of the date of your receipt of this response to your request
and should be addressed to: Mr S Hill (Assistant Director (Governance)),
Epping Forest District Council, Civic Offices, Epping, Essex CM16 4BZ.
If you are not content with the outcome of an internal review, you have
the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a further
review of the Council’s response to your request. The Information
Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office,
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.
Freedom of Information Officer
Epping Forest District Council,
Essex, CM16 4BZ.
( (01992) 564180
* [email address]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now