TM44 Air Conditioning Inspection Report Environmental Compliance Audit of Local Authorities

Charnwood Borough Council did not have the information requested.

Dear Charnwood Borough Council,
This request relates to UK Environmental Legislation, specifically TM44 Air Conditioning Inspection Reporting, which is mandatory for air-conditioned buildings. You as a Local Authority are duty bound to actively manage compliance in your Borough and to issue notices/fine non-compliant organisations.

Q. Have you set up a Trading Standards Officer to implement an active TM44 compliance programme. Provide that person’s name and details.
Q. If you have not set up your compliance programme, when do you expect to do so, and who is in charge of the process?
Q. What specific actions have you undertaken to check on all building operators with air conditioning in your Borough?
Q. How do you notify affected organisations, and how much notice do you give them before issuing a fine?
Q. The Government Non-Domestic EPC Register contains all records of existing TM44 Air Conditioning Inspection Reports, with expiry dates. Buildings not shown on the Register are non-compliant. Do you make use of the Register?
Q. The fine is £300.00 per building for non-compliance, do you reinvest fines and allocate to the Department issuing notices?

Yours faithfully,

Scott Davies, Charnwood Borough Council

Thank you for your information request which is acknowledged.
Your request is being considered and you should receive the information within 20 working days. This is subject to it not being covered by an exemption or requiring the payment of a fee.

I have set out below further information regarding the Freedom of Information Act for your information.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact me.

Yours sincerely
Megan Bilton
Data Protection and Information Security Officer
Charnwood Borough Council
e-mail [Charnwood Borough Council request email]
Tel 01509 634711

The Council will provide the information requested wherever possible, however the Act does set out a number of exemptions that may prevent release of the information to you. If any of the exemptions do apply to the information that you have requested we will not be able to supply it. You will be notified if this is the case with the reasons why we are claiming an exemption and your rights to complain and appeal the decision.

If a fee is payable we will inform you of this and you must pay the fee before the information request can be processed further – the 20 working day timetable is suspended until receipt of the fee. The Act also sets out the amount of work that the Council can be required to undertake. If this limit is estimated to be exceeded by your request we can refuse to process the request. If your request exceeds this limit, we will let you know.

If any of the information requested concerns a third party they may be consulted prior to taking a decision whether to release the information to you or not.

We will aim to provide the information to you in the format that you have specified. If you require an alternative format please let me know. Where the format has not been specified the information will be provided by e-mail, or as a paper copy.

show quoted sections, Charnwood Borough Council

Dear Mr Davies,

Further to your request for information, I can confirm Leicestershire County Council provides the Trading Standards function in Charnwood, and we are therefore unable to provide the requested information. If you would like me to transfer your request to the County Council please let me know.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact me. I have outlined our Freedom of Information Complaints Procedure below should you need to make use of it.
Yours sincerely,

Megan Bilton
Data Protection and Information Security Officer
Charnwood Borough Council
[Charnwood Borough Council request email]
01509 634711

Charnwood Borough Council Freedom of Information and Environmental Information complaints procedure

Informal Complaints Procedure
If you are dissatisfied with the way in which your request has been handled please contact me, and I will try to resolve your complaint on an informal basis within 15 working days.
If you are then still dissatisfied with the response, please follow the formal complaints procedure below.
Formal Complaints Procedure
Put your formal complaint in writing, providing any supporting evidence, to the Customer Experience Manager at the address noted below, who will then investigate and respond to your complaint within 20 working days.
If the Customer Experience Manager dealt with your initial request for information your complaint will automatically be referred to the Head of Service and / or one of our Strategic Directors for independent consideration.

Write to: Customer Experience Manager
Charnwood Borough Council
Southfield Road
LE11 2TU
Telephone: 01509 634596
E-mail: [Charnwood Borough Council request email]

If you remain dissatisfied with the handling of your request or complaint, you have a right to appeal to the Information Commissioner at:
The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. Telephone: 0303 123 1113. Website:
There is no charge for making an appeal.

show quoted sections