Dear Home Office,

I worked in the UK on tier 2 general visa last January 2016 which was valid for 3 years. However my employment was terminated (did not pass OSCE) December 2016 and was asked by my employer to leave right away so as not to overstay. I left the country 1st January 2017. I was informed I have 12 months before I can go back on a new visa. However, I received a curtailment letter via email July 2017 stating I have until September 2017 to stay in the UK. My question is, when does my cooling off period start If i left the UK even before the curtailment letter was served? And why was it served in July instead of immediately after my employment has ended? Also when can I get a fresh tier 2 visa from a new employer?

Yours faithfully,

FOI Requests, Home Office


Please be aware that we have decided to handle your correspondence of 22 February 2018 outside the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. This is because it does not meet the criteria for a Freedom of Information request, as it does not ask for recorded information.

Below is a link to the ICO guidance for the criteria for valid requests under the Act:

We will provide an answer to your query, but it will be answer outside of the provisions of the Act.  You should expect to receive a response in due course.

Thank you,

P. Zebedee
FOI Requests
Home Office

show quoted sections

Digital Correspondence Allocation Team, Home Office

Dear Sir / Madam ,

Thank you for your e-mail of 22 February.

Our response to your enquiry will involve asking for or disclosing your personal data. We cannot do this via ‘’, which is a public website. I would therefore be grateful if you would let us have your personal e-mail to which we can reply.

Alternatively, if you would like to contact us directly, you can at the following address:

[email address]

You will also need to provide the information listed below when emailing the above:



Date of birth:

H O reference number:

You can also contact the Migrant Helpline on 0300 123 2241 to discuss your query / get information on your options.

Yours faithfully,

UK Visas and Immigration

show quoted sections

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .