Dear The British Museum,
Hello. I would very much like, under the Freedom of Information, to ask you the following, please:
1. How many artefacts or items of historical interest were stolen from your museum in the years 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2010? Can the items be listed for each year in an excel spreadsheet (for this request and for all requests below)?
2. Of the thefts listed above, year for year, how many were perpetrated by members of your own staff?
3. How many other thefts occurred and were recorded in these years (e.g. visitor bags stolen, wallets etc.) can the quantity be included and the total categories (i.e. visitor theft) where known?
4. If known, how many times in the above years was there police involvement - and were there arrests made following such thefts?
5. How much money, in the above years (year by year breakdown) a. were claimed for and b. received money for in insurance claims for thefts in your museum.
I would be grateful for answers to all of the above questions. However, I appreciate that the data might be hard to collate and so I ask you to spend the allocated time under FOI to search for each question in terms of priority and only to move to the next question if time still permits under the FOI stipulation.
I hope that all of this is clear and no further explaining is required.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now