The Right Of Abode Certificate

Shah Alam made this Freedom of Information request to Home Office

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was partially successful.

Dear Home Office,

I hope that you are well.

I have a The Right of Abode ,Which is valid until December 2017,Has made a British Passport application on September 2017 and has attended to Liverpool passport office for interview ( Over 2 hours). Caseworker has confirmed that it can take up to 6 months to get outcome of the British Passport application. Also caseworker has returned all the documents

Q1, Do I really need to make an application for The Right of Abode before the Expire date?

Q2, Does going to be counted as a overstay after visa expires? If I can’t make a application foe the right of abode within expire date.

I will be appreciated if you could answer.

Yours faithfully,

Shah Alam

UK Visas and Immigration,

Dear Shah Alam,

Thank you for your e-mail 30th September regarding right of abode.
The right of abode is a statutory right that a person either does or does
not have.
Regulations provide that a certificate of entitlement is only valid for
the validity period of the passport that it is attached to.  If you have a
certificate of entitlement in an expired passport, it is advisable to
apply for a new certificate of entitlement to be placed in
your new passport once this is issued:
For further information on applying for a new certificate of entitlement
once you have been issued a new passport, please refer to the below link:
Please note that since 21 December 2006 you will not qualify for a
Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode to be placed in your
foreign passport or travel document if you already hold either:

* a United Kingdom passport which describes you as a British citizen or
as a British subject with right of abode; or
* a UK identity card which describes you as a British citizen or as a
British subject with right of abode

Please note the onus is upon individual customers to ensure that they
satisfy the requirements set out in the guidance material. The guidance
material accompanies each and every application form. UK Visas and
Immigration is not able to give, indicate or advise upon the outcome of
any such application prior to it being given full and careful

Directing you to the guidance material is the only advice we can give you.
If you need any further help you should seek independent immigration
advice. Immigration advisers can help you with immigration matters,
including completion of forms and representing you at a tribunal. The
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates
immigration advisers, which mean they must meet certain standards.

Please see the below link to find an immigration adviser:


Yours Faithfully
Fiona Brunton
UKVI Visa and Immigration



UKVI Contact Centre

Website: [4]




Visible links
1. Click to follow link:
2. Click to follow link:
3. Click to follow link:

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .