The minimum carriageway width for a shared space schemes

salvador exposito made this Freedom of Information request to Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities

Automatic anti-spam measures are in place for this older request. Please let us know if a further response is expected or if you are having trouble responding.

salvador exposito

Dear Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government,

Could you please let me know about the minimum carriageway width for a shared space
schemes especially in cases where traffic volume and speed will be low, such
as within "large housing schemes" designed as mews or cul-de-sac. Please note that the shared space will be used by vulnerable people like wheelchair user, mothers with pushchairs, disabled people, blind and/or sight impaired people.

I believe, that the designers should be considering their responsibility under the Equality Legislation when designing this type of schemes. Therefore, it is important to know which is the minimum recommended width of this type of access road.

Yours faithfully,

Salvador Exposito

MHCLG Correspondence, Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities

This email address is not monitored for MP correspondence and is only used
for Information Requests under the FOI Act and the EIR, if you are an MP

[1][email address

[2][email address
[3][email address
[4][email address
[5][email address

If you are a member of the public with an enquiry other than FOI or EIR,
please re-direct your enquiry via the contact form on our website 


Visible links
1. mailto:[email address]
2. mailto:[email address]
3. mailto:[email address]
4. mailto:[email address]
5. mailto:[email address]

FoI Requests, Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities

Dear Salvador,

Many thanks for your email below. Please be assured that the Department did receive your email and it has been sent for the attention of the relevant policy team who will be best placed to respond to your question(s).

We are not treating your email as an FoI request because we considered that it was not a request for recorded information. When we receive requests that do not fall under FoI we transfer them so that they can be answered by the appropriate policy official.

Your sincerely,

Knowledge and Information Access
Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government

show quoted sections