Dear Department for Work and Pensions,
Could you please provide the following information under the
Freedom of Information Act:
(1) Please can you confirm that the following is the only format that a National Insurance Number (NINO) can currently take: "XX YY YY YY X" where X is a character and Y is a number ?
(2) Are there any restrictions on the the values that each element within a NINO can take and if so what are these?
(3) A list of the two-letter combinations ever used as the first two characters in a NINO.
(4) A list of the letters that have ever been used as the final character in a NINO.
(5) Are there any plans to change the format of the NINO in the future?
(6) A list of the two-letter combinations scheduled to be used as
the first two characters of future NINOs.
(7) A list of the letters scheduled to be used as the final character of future NINOs.
(8) A list detailing the meaning of the different elements that make up a NINO.
(9) Do any of the characters in NINOs act as a check by which the validity of the NINO can be verified? If so, how is this achieved?
Mr T. Breyal
This is an automated confirmation that your request for information has
been accepted by the DWP FoI mailbox.
By the next working day your request will be forwarded to the relevant
information owner within the Department who will respond to you direct.
If your email is a Freedom of Information request you can normally
expect a response within 20 working days.
Should you have any further queries in connection with this request do
please contact us.
For further information on the Freedom of Information Act within DWP
please click on the link below.
Please find attached our response to your recent Freedom of Information
DWP Central Freedom of Information Team
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now