Thames Water Property Searches
P. Gradwell made this Environmental Information Regulations request to Thames Water
You only have a right in law to access information about the environment from this authority
This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.
Dear Thames Water,
1. Please provide information (including documents in which said information is recorded) outlining the legal and or any other relationship between Thames Water Utilities Limited “TWUL”) and ‘Thames Water Property Searches’ (“TWPS”). For the avoidance of doubt, any reference to ‘documents’ in this request and the further requests for information below is a reference to documents such as emails, minutes of meetings or discussions other internal exchanges and other similar items. I take this opportunity to refer you to Article 2(1)(c) of the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (“EIR”) which necessitates your response to this question.
2. Please provide copies of any licence agreements or any documents relating to the commercial or other relationship or arrangements that may be in place between TWUL and TWPS and which relate to personal searches and or the provision of CON29DW and other information commonly required by the purchaser of a residential or commercial property. Again I refer you to Article 2(1)(c) of the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (“EIR”) which necessitates your response to this question.
3. If any licence agreement or other documents provided in response to request 2 above do not provide information on the charges levied or profits shared (if any) as between TWPS and TWUL, please provide information (including documents in which said information is recorded) setting out the details of said charges levied or payments made and or profits shared for the last 3 years and confirm whether any charges levied are subject to VAT. Again I refer you to Article 2(1)(c) of the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (“EIR”) which necessitates your response to this question.
4. Please confirm whether the environmental information that is called to the screen at the point when a Personal Search Company conducts a personal search via the kiosk computer is different to the environmental information that is available on TWUL’s internal computer systems. I.e. is there any difference in the information that Personal Search Company’s can access via the kiosk and the information on your internal systems that is used to populate CON29DW’s by and/or for TWPS.
For example, please would you provide information (including documents in which said information is recorded) which shows:
i. Whether or not the information provided via the kiosk computer for a search is derived from older information or data compared with the information available on your internal systems, and;
ii. Whether any information available on the kiosk computer is subject to any process of deletion, redaction or amendment by comparison to the information that would be called up on your internal computer systems for the same search and if so what, and;
iii. Whether the information called up at the point of search for the same search conducted on a kiosk and an internal computer is from the same source or data set, or;
iv. whether any mapping that is provided for the Kiosk computer is different (e.g. a different scale, zoomed in, different key information displayed etc) to that on the internal computer system, or;
v. whether a different software is used on the kiosk computer compared to the internal computer system.
5. When conducting a personal search, third parties are required by notices in the kiosk to input certain information into the computer regarding the searches they are undertaking. Please provide information (including documents in which said information is recorded) that shows exactly how and for what TWUL uses that information including details of whether or not TWUL shares it with TWPS and any third party and in particular whether TWUL or TWPS uses any of that information for their own direct or indirect marketing or any other commercial purposes.
6. We understand that third parties are required to book a half hour appointment at TWUL’s offices to access source information and data when conducting a personal search. Please let us have information (including documents in which said information is recorded) that shows what restrictions – if any – apply to TWPS when accessing information and data held and compiled by TWUL.
7. Please confirm, (including relevant documents in which supporting information is recorded) whether there are any technical and/or other reasons why information that is held by TWUL and/or TWPS in its underlying registers or databases for the purpose of completing CON29DWs for both residential and commercial property cannot be provided in any form other than as a completed CON29DW? For example can the relevant information on the register or database be printed directly or cut and pasted into an email or word/ excel documents format or saved as an attachment (or similar) and given to the consumer that way, rather than in a CON29DW?
Thank you for contacting Thames Water. This inbox is for EIR requests
which we aim to respond to within 20 working days. We may contact you
with any questions we have on your request and if we are unable to
complete your request within 20 days, we will contact you to agree a new
If you wish to contact us in the meantime, please email
[Thames Water request email] and make sure you refer to your original
Thames Water Limited (company number 2366623) and Thames Water Utilities
Limited (company number 2366661) are companies registered in England and
Wales, both are registered at Clearwater Court, Vastern Road, Reading,
Berkshire RG1 8DB. This email is confidential and is intended only for the
use of the person it was sent to. Any views or opinions in this email are
those of the author and don’t necessarily represent those of Thames Water
Limited or its subsidiaries. If you aren’t the intended recipient of this
email, please don’t copy, use, forward or disclose its contents to any
other person – please destroy and delete the message and any attachments
from your system.
Dear Mrs Gladwell,
Thank you for your recent request for information, Please find our response attached to this email.
I hope this finds you well.
Data Protection Advisor
Walnut Court, Kembrey Park, Swindon SN2 8BN
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now