Schools Rock Salt

garry smitt made this Freedom of Information request to West Lothian Council

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear West Lothian Council,
can you tell me how much the public schools spend on there own rock salt over the winter months!! or is this all supplyed to the schools free from west lothian council.

if the council do not supply the schools with there rock salt who is in charge of making sure the schools are well supplied

Yours faithfully,

Garry Smitt

West Lothian Council

Dear Garry Smitt
Information Request
Reference no. 101002642716

I refer to your request for information dated 29/10/2011 .

Your request has been logged and transferred to the appropriate Information Liaison Officer (ILO), who will provide a response to your request in most cases within 20 working days.

Should the ILO require further information to process your request then they will contact you directly. If you require further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

West Lothian Council

Tel: 01506 775000
Email: [email address]

show quoted sections

West Lothian Council


Dear Garry Smitt
Freedom Of Information

Reference no. 101002642716

I refer to your request for information dated 29/10/2011.

Roads Services provide a gritting service to state schools for the winter period. For an average winter the spend is approximately £60,000 which includes the supply and application of salt to school access roads car parks and the main entrance to the school.

Where there is a grit bin provided we also supply salt. The value is not broken down per individual school or purely for the supply of salt.

Last year the council spent over £500,000 on snow clearing and gritting within schools as a result of the severe weather. Again, we dont record exact value against salt. The value includes labour and plant in addition to the salt supplied.

Private schools make their own arrangements - the council does no salting for Private Schools.

You are free to use the information supplied in this response for your own non-commercial research or private study purposes. The information may also be used for any other purpose allowed by a limitation or exception in copyright law, such as news reporting. Any such use must be in context and must not be misleading. Any other type of re-use, for example by publishing the information in analogue or digital form, including on the internet or commercial use, will require the permission of the intellectual property owner and copyright owner.

Further details as to how to apply to re-use information supplied by us can be found on our website at

If you have any complaint about the Council's handling of your request for information, you may require the Council to review its actions and decisions in relation to this response. Please write, within 40 working days from 21/11/11, to Julie Whitelaw, Chief Solicitor, West Lothian Council, West Lothian Civic Centre, Howden South Road,
Livingston EH54 6FF (Telephone: 01506 281626, email: [email address]).

You may, within a further six months, if your are dissatisfied with the outcome or with the Council's failure to review its actions and decisions in relation to this response, apply in writing to the Scottish Information Commissioner, Kinburn Castle, Doubledykes Road, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9DS (01334 464610; email [email address]) requesting his decision in this matter.

Yours faithfully

Andy Johnston
This message, together with any attachments, is sent subject to the
following statements:

1. It is sent in confidence for the addressee only. It may
contain legally privileged information. The contents are
not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee.
Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this
confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately.
2. It does not constitute a representation which is legally
binding on the Council or which is capable of constituting
a contract and may not be founded upon in any proceedings
following hereon unless specifically indicated otherwise.

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .