Safeguarding children: Channel and Prevent data sharing
Dear Bury Safeguarding Children Board,
I contact you with a Freedom of Information request, as under the FOI Act 2000, to ask for information regards the Channel and Prevent strategy in your area, and any associated multi-agency process for identifying, referring and supporting a person at risk of radicalisation, focusing on early intervention and engagement.
Please can you provide (time periods where applicable, are each per calendar year, since 2010 or as soon as records are available):
1. the total number of individuals (cases) that have been referred, and to where.
a) Identified at risk of being drawn into terrorism;
b) Numbers in each available age bracket, including any breakdowns of children by age (ie 0-5, 5-11, 11-14, 14-18.)
c) What was the nature and extent of that risk; (aggregated totals)
d) What support plans were identified (similar types, grouped if possible)
e) Total number and the percentage that came as referrals from under 18 education,
f) Total number of requests with, and without, consent, respectively.
3. Please provide the total number of onward contact with that involved information sharing with the following, but not exclusively, to any third party services as a result and list how many case information were shared with which third parties (or *all*):
Social care staff, including Directors of Children’s and Adults’ Services
Schools, further education colleges and universities
Youth Offending Services
Chairs of Local Safeguarding Children Boards and Safeguarding Adults Boards
Local Authority Safeguarding Managers
Home Office Immigration
5. Please provide (if possible diagrammatically, and if words only then it should be detailed enough to permit this to be drawn) the data flows that an individual is expected to understand from the point at which they are asked for consent to enter into the programme. This diagram should show where personal data are collected, or onwardly shared to other third parties as part of the programme, and any decision points which determine further data flows. The data collector, processor, and controller roles should be marked until the data destruction.
(Ie: school flags child, Parents contacted by Prevent officer, parents provide consent,
Prevent officer contacts Police Channel Officer, MASH Channel Panel, Panel reviews, passes on data to XYZ, decision A, action Y, data passed on to V, W, X, action N. 6 month review by XXX individuals / Panel, 18 months after exit scheme, all data destroyed).
6. Please provide the total number of cases reviewed at 6 and12 months from the
point at which they exited the process.
7. Please provide the retention period for the data on individuals involved in cases, from the point at which they exit the process, that each party (see Q3) involved follows.
8. Please provide the total number of individuals whose personal information is retained currently (date as per FOI receipt) who are no longer involved in cases, and have exited the process.
9). Please provide a sample referral text (anonymous) that the Channel panel would receive on first referral. ie. the kinds of text that the panel read and the information it contains.
10) For those referrals received through a school, please indicate where known, the source cause of the referral (ie teacher concerns, web monitoring system, friend.)
Thank you for your consideration.
Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:
FOI requests at Bury Safeguarding Children Board
The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail
system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you.
Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide
the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.
Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: bury.gov.uk
[Bury Safeguarding Children Board request email]
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##
Original message headers:
Received: from Bury-Primary-FM.bury.gov.uk (10.50.250.149) by
byexht2.bury.gov.uk (10.50.248.63) with Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS) id
8.3.515.0; Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:44:22 +0000
Received: from gw4201.fortimail.com (gw4201.fortimail.com [22.214.171.124])
by Bury-Primary-FM.bury.gov.uk with ESMTP id wAQAiLo5028412-wAQAiLo6028412
(version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=CAFAIL) for
<[Bury Safeguarding Children Board request email]>; Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:44:22 GMT
Received: from mailer103.ukcod.org.uk (mailer103.ukcod.org.uk [126.96.36.199])
by gw4201.fortimail.com with ESMTP id wAQAiIs1005635-wAQAiIs3005635
(version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=NO) for
<[Bury Safeguarding Children Board request email]>; Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:44:20 GMT
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=whatdotheyknow.com; s=2014a.mysociety; h=Content-Transfer-Encoding:
Received: from owl.ukcod.org.uk ([188.8.131.52]:46197) by bittern.ukcod.org.uk
with esmtps (TLS1.2:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:256) (Exim 4.89)
(envelope-from <[FOI #535166 email]>) id
1gRENG-0006Im-58 for [Bury Safeguarding Children Board request email]; Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:44:18 +0000
Received: from foi by owl.ukcod.org.uk with local (Exim 4.89) (envelope-from
<[FOI #535166 email]>) id 1gRENG-0008Mt-24 for
[Bury Safeguarding Children Board request email]; Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:44:18 +0000
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:44:18 +0000
From: Jen Persson <[FOI #535166 email]>
To: FOI requests at Bury Safeguarding Children Board <[Bury Safeguarding Children Board request email]>
Message-ID: <[email address]>
Subject: Freedom of Information request - Safeguarding children: Channel and
Prevent data sharing
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
spf=pass (fortimail.com: domain of [FOI #535166 email] designates 184.108.40.206 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=[FOI #535166 email];
Return-Path: [FOI #535166 email]
1. mailto:[Bury Safeguarding Children Board request email]
Sent request to Bury Safeguarding Children Board again, using a new contact address.
The Bury Safeguarding Children Board is exempt from the requirements of the FOI Act 2000.
You may want to send a new request to Bury Council's freedom of information team using [email address]
There is more information in relation to freedom of information requests on Bury Council's website:- www.bury.gov.uk
Senior Administrative Support Worker
Bury Safeguarding Children Board
18-20 St Mary’s Place
Tel: 0161 253 6153
Fax: 0161 253 7601
Secure e-mail: [email address]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now