Dear Brighton and Hove City Council,
I contact you with a Freedom of Information request, as under the FOI Act 2000, to ask for information regards the Channel and Prevent strategy in your area, and any associated multi-agency process for identifying, referring and supporting a person at risk of radicalisation, focusing on early intervention and engagement.
Please can you provide (time periods where applicable, are each per calendar year, since 2010 or as soon as records are available):
1. the total number of individuals (cases) that have been referred, and to where.
a) Identified at risk, of being drawn into terrorism or for other reasons under the programme,
b) Numbers in each available age bracket, including any breakdowns of children by age (ie 0-5, 5-11, 11-14, 14-18.)
c) What was the nature and extent of that risk; (aggregated totals)
d) What support plans were identified (similar types, grouped if possible)
e) Total number and the percentage that came as referrals from under 18 education,
f) Total number of requests with, and without, consent, respectively.
3. Please provide the total number of onward contact with that involved information sharing with the following, but not exclusively, to any third party services as a result and list how many case information were shared with which third parties (or *all*):
Social care staff, including Directors of Children’s and Adults’ Services
Schools, further education colleges and universities
Youth Offending Services
Chairs of Local Safeguarding Children Boards and Safeguarding Adults Boards
Local Authority Safeguarding Managers
Home Office Immigration
5. Please provide (if possible diagrammatically, and if words only then it should be detailed enough to permit this to be drawn) the data flows that an individual is expected to understand from the point at which they are asked for consent to enter into the programme. This diagram should show where personal data are collected, or onwardly shared to other third parties as part of the programme, and any decision points which determine further data flows. The data collector, processor, and controller roles should be marked until the data destruction.
(Ie: school flags child, Parents contacted by Prevent officer, parents provide consent,
Prevent officer contacts Police Channel Officer, MASH or Channel Panel, Panel reviews, passes on data to XYZ, decision A, action Y, data passed on to V, W, X, action N. 6 month review by XXX individuals / Panel, 18 months after exit scheme, all data destroyed).
6. Please provide the total number of cases reviewed at 6 and12 months from the point at which they exited the process.
7. Please provide the retention period for the data on individuals involved in cases, from the point at which they exit the process, that each party (see Q3) involved follows.
8. Please provide the total number of individuals whose personal information is retained currently (date as per FOI receipt) who are no longer involved in cases, and have exited the process.
9). Please provide a sample referral text (anonymous) that the Channel panel would receive on first referral. ie. the kinds of text that the panel read and the information it contains.
10) For those referrals received through a school, please indicate where known, the source cause of the referral (ie teacher concerns, web monitoring system, friend.)
11) Please list the funding sources and with which public body the oversight is held, for the Brighton and Hove Safeguarding Children Board.
Thank you for your consideration.
Thank you for your email. This is an automated email acknowledgement from
the Information Governance Team at Brighton & Hove City Council.
When we will deal with your email
This mailbox is monitored during the working hours of 8:00am to 4:00pm on
Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). Emails received outside of
these working hours will usually be processed during the next available
working day. We aim to deal with all emails within two working days of
How we process a new Freedom of Information (FOI) Request
When you submit a new FOI Request we will do the following;
· We will log your FOI request and send confirmation of this to
you by email, together with a FOI request reference number. We aim to do
this within two working days of receiving your request.
· Please note that future email correspondence regarding your FOI
request will then be sent to you from
· We will allocate your FOI request to the appropriate Council
team(s) in order for them to collate the information you have requested.
· Once we have received an approved response back from the
relevant Council team(s), we will send this to you.
o Please note that the response to your FOI request will be sent to you
in letter form, as an email attachment.
o An anonymized version of the response to your FOI request may be
published on the Council’s Disclosure Log.
When you can expect to receive a response to your FOI request
Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 the Council has a legal
obligation to respond to your request no later than 20 working days
following the date of receipt. Wherever possible, a response to your FOI
request will be sent to you before the legal deadline of 20 working days.
You can find more information about the FOI process on the Council website
through the following link;
Freedom of Information – Brighton & Hove City Council
Making a Freedom of Information (FOI) request using the Council’s online
FOI request form
You can now make new FOI requests using the Council’s online FOI request
form. The online FOI request form is available through the following link
and on the Council website;
Online FOI request form
Information Governance Team | 01273 295959 | Brighton & Hove City
Notice to recipient:
The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only
for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed
and may contain information which is privileged and confidential, the
disclosure of which is prohibited by law.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please note
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error please notify the sender immediately.
Thank you in anticipation of your co-operation.
You can visit our website at http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk
Please consider the environment, only print out this email if absolutely
Please Note: Both incoming and outgoing Emails may be monitored and/or
recorded in line with current legislation
1. mailto:[email address]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now