Residential requirement for car insurance.

Currently waiting for a response from Department for Transport, they should respond promptly and normally no later than (details).

Terence Durrant

Dear Department for Transport,

I am UK born, UK pensioner, UK property owner, contribute to income tax and all other national and local taxes and consider myself a UK resident. As a retiree i like to follow the sun and holiday abroad primarily in France but other EU countries as well, starting and returning to UK on each trip. This is purely on a temporary holiday basis, i do not own or rent a property overseas. I have just been informed by my vehicle insurer that if i spend more than six months outside the Uk, on a cumulative basis, i would be considered non resident and my car insurance would be invalid.
Is the six month qualification a legal requirement and one that is followed by all insurance companies?

Yours faithfully,

Terence Durrant

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .