Dear Sir or Madam
REPATRIATION OF HUMAN REMAINS
I am carrying out some research into the storage, retention and repatriation of non-European ethnological human remains held in UK museums. To assist with this could you please let me have the following information under the Freedom of Information Act. All of these questions relate to human remains that are under 1,000 years of age:
1. How many non-European human remains do you have in your collection? If you do not have the exact number, then please provide an approximation based on your normal method of counting.
2. How many requests for the repatriation of non-European human remains did you receive from communities, individuals or institutions outside of Europe prior to the Human Tissue Act 2004 coming into force? Of these how many were approved?
3. How many requests for the repatriation of human remains have you had from communities, individuals or institutions outside of Europe since the Human Tissue Act 2004 came into force?
4. Of these requests, how many were:
a. Approved in full, with all of the requested remains being returned to the communities/individuals in question.
b. Approved in part with some of the requested remains being returned.
c. Not approved.
d. Still awaiting a decision.
5. For those requests which were not approved please provide a copy of the final decision letter setting out the reasons.
Thanking you in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Dear Maciej Wójtowicz
Thank you for your email of 5 December 2018 which I confirm has been dealt
with in accordance with the Freedom of information Act 2000.
Please see the mark-up on your email below regarding the information you
I hope that you are happy with the service you have received in relation
to your request but if not and you wish to make a complaint you should
write to me, Christopher Gray, Museum Secretary at the Park Row address
If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint, you may apply
directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. (Generally, the
Information Commissioner cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted
the above complaints procedure provided by the National Maritime Museum.)
The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane,
Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Direct +44 (0)208 312 6637
Royal Museums Greenwich
National Maritime Museum | Cutty Sark
Royal Observatory | The Queen's House
+44 (0)208 858 4422
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now