Repatriation of human remains
Maciej Wójtowicz made this Freedom of Information request to National Museum Wales
This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.
Dear Sir or Madam
REPATRIATION OF HUMAN REMAINS
I am carrying out some research into the storage, retention and repatriation of non-European ethnological human remains held in UK museums. To assist with this could you please let me have the following information under the Freedom of Information Act. All of these questions relate to human remains that are under 1,000 years of age:
1. How many non-European human remains do you have in your collection? If you do not have the exact number, then please provide an approximation based on your normal method of counting.
2. How many requests for the repatriation of non-European human remains did you receive from communities, individuals or institutions outside of Europe prior to the Human Tissue Act 2004 coming into force? Of these how many were approved?
3. How many requests for the repatriation of human remains have you had from communities, individuals or institutions outside of Europe since the Human Tissue Act 2004 came into force?
4. Of these requests, how many were:
a. Approved in full, with all of the requested remains being returned to the communities/individuals in question.
b. Approved in part with some of the requested remains being returned.
c. Not approved.
d. Still awaiting a decision.
5. For those requests which were not approved please provide a copy of the final decision letter setting out the reasons.
Thanking you in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Thank you for your Freedom of Information Request. I am now liaising with colleagues on our reply.
I will be in touch with you again should I need to advise you of any matter relating to your request, or if I require any further information from you.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Rheolwr Diogelwch Gwybodaeth - Information Security Manager
Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales
Parc Cathays / Cathays Park
Caerdydd / Cardiff
+44(0)29 2057Â 3308 / +44(0)29 2057Â 3111
amgueddfa.cymru Â / museum.wales
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now