Dear Government Olympic Executive,
Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 I seek the following information about the ratio of male and female participation in sport in the UK:
1. The number of men and women who have taken part in the olympics over the past 10 years, including those who are expected to take part in Rio 2016.
2. The number of male and female participation of sport in school and at university from the age of 16-23.
3. The number of men and women running the London marathon from 2007-2016.
I would prefer to receive this information electronically, preferably as a data set, eg. in Excel, NOT as a PDF.
If the decision is made to withhold some of this data using exemptions in the Data Protection Act, please inform me of that fact and cite the exemptions used.
If some parts of this request are easier to answer than others, I would ask that you release the available data as soon as possible.
If you need any clarification then please do not hesitate to contact me. Under Section 16 it is your duty to provide advice and assistance and so I would expect you to contact me if you find this request unmanageable in any way.
I would be grateful if you could confirm in writing that you have received this request, and I look forward to hearing from you within the 20-working day statutory time period.
Dear Ms Lloyd-Jones,
Thank you for your information request of 21^st April 2016.
“Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 I seek the following
information about the ratio of male and female participation in sport in
1) The number of men and women who have taken part in the Olympics
over the past 10 years, including those who are expected to take part in
2) The number of male and female participation of sport in school and
at university from the age of 16 - 23.
3) The number of men and women running the London marathon from 2007 -
I have dealt with your request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
(the Act). I can confirm that the Department holds no information in scope
of your request.
You may wish to contact the following organisations as they may hold
records in scope of your request:
· The British Olympic Association for Olympics
· The British Paralympic Association for Paralympics
· International Olympic Committee
In addition, the London Marathon is a privately organised event.
Therefore, you may wish to contact past organisers individually for this
Freedom of Information Team
Department for Culture, Media & Sport
4th floor, 100 Parliament Street
London SW1A 2BQ
Complaints and comments
As is customary in our replies, I would like to explain that if you are
dissatisfied with any aspect of our response to your request for
information and/or wish to appeal against information being withheld from
you please send full details within two calendar months of the date of
this email to: [email address]
You have the right to ask the Information Commissioner (ICO) to
investigate any aspect of your complaint. Please note that the ICO is
likely to expect internal complaints procedures to have been exhausted
before beginning his investigation.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now