Dear Cabinet Office,
The Rt Hon. Nick Clegg has been able to claim Public Duty Cost allowance as former Deputy Prime Minister since 9 May 2015 and will be able to claim this allowance for five years.
Since October 2018, Nick Clegg has been appointed 'Vice President for Global Affairs and Communications at Facebook'. In addition, as part of his new employment with Facebook, he is reported to take long-term residence in Silicon Valley, California.
Therefore, I request the following information:
1) Has Nick Clegg claimed any Public Duty Cost Allowance; since his announced employment with Facebook; from October 2018 onwards (up to and including 8th January 2019)?
If claims have been made:
2) How much has been claimed by Nick Clegg since October 2018?
Furthermore, the Cabinet Office stated in a response to a FOI request on the 26/10/2017:
“The Public Duty Cost Allowance was extended to the former Deputy Prime Minister, the Rt Hon. Nick Clegg, for the period of five years from 9 May 2015, to be reviewed annually.” (FOI Ref: FOI325217)
Therefore, I also request the following information:
3) Has an annual review of the extension of the Public Duty Cost Allowance to former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg taken place since his announced employment at Facebook?
If a review has taken place:
4) A copy of the annual review for this extension (either in full or partially redacted for public use.)
5) Has the review considered his Facebook employment and his probable significantly high salary as a factor in this review?
If a review has not yet taken place:
6) The date of which a review for this extension will next occur.
7) Whether the cabinet office will consider his Facebook employment in a review of his Public Duty Cost Allowance.
CABINET OFFICE REFERENCE: FOI327433
Dear ALEX HEASMAN-BAILEY
Thank you for your request for information. Your request was received on
9/1/2019 and we are considering if it is appropriate to deal with under
the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
This email is just a short acknowledgement of your request.
When corresponding with the Cabinet Office, you may wish to be aware of
how we treat your personal Information. This is set out in our personal
information charter, at the following
If you have any queries about this email, please contact the FOI team.
Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future
Knowledge and Information Management Unit
E: [Cabinet Office request email]
Please find attached the reply to your FOI request
London, SW1A 2AS
E-mail -[Cabinet Office request email]
1. mailto:[email address]