Prove of English for settling (Canadian degree)

Fernando made this Freedom of Information request to Home Office

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Home Office did not have the information requested.

Dear Home Office,

I will be applying to the ILR soon but I'm confused on the following:

I hold a masters degree from Canada (taught/researched in English). The guidelines on the government's website state that I will need the original degree certificate and one of the following:

1) Certificate from UK NARIC plus an official letter from the university.
2) Official letter from university confirming the degree was taught/researched in English (Except Canada).

Does that "Except Canada" mean that the only option I have is to provide the UK NARIC certificate plus the official letter from university (listed as 1 above)?.

Yours faithfully,


FOI Requests, Home Office

Dear Fernando,


Please be aware that we have decided to handle your correspondence of 24
July 2018 outside the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. This
is because it does not meet the criteria for a Freedom of Information
request, as it does not ask for recorded information.


Below is a link to the ICO guidance for the criteria for valid requests
under the Act:



We will provide an answer to your query, but it will be answered outside
of the provisions of the Act.  You should expect to receive a response in
due course.


N McKenzie

Home Office





show quoted sections

UK Visas and Immigration,

Dear Fernando,
Thank you for your enquiry dated 24th July about proof of English for
settling [Canadian degree].
We are unable to advise on settlement applications.
Please use the link below to find out if you can apply for settlement
(also called ‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK:
If you need any further help or assistance you would need to contact an
independent immigration adviser.
Please note the onus is upon individual customers to ensure that they
satisfy the requirements set out in the guidance material. The guidance
material accompanies each and every application form. UK Visas and
Immigration is not able to give, indicate or
advise upon the outcome of any such application prior to it being given
full and careful consideration.

Directing you to the guidance material is the only advice we can give you.
If you need any further help you should seek independent immigration
advice. Immigration advisers can help you with immigration matters,
including completion of forms and representing you at a tribunal. The
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates
immigration advisers, which mean they must meet certain standards.

Please see the below link to find an immigration adviser:

Yours Faithfully,

Alex Fonzarelli
UK Visa and Immigration



UKVI Contact Centre

Website: [3]


Please note that we cannot provide case specific advice or pre-assess an
application but we can provide information and support you through
signposting and website navigation. If you require more specific advise
then please speak to a qualified immigration advisor


Visible links
1. Click to follow link:
2. Click to follow link: