Dear Department of Health,

Please provide what law the the department of the current government is using to force NHS trusts to provide maternity services to non citizens. And in recent news the NHS fails to collect the payment for these services.

With women flying into the country and they are close to the due date they should not be offered or provided any NHS treatment. This happens in other countries such as the USA where you are refused to even enter the country if you are close to your due date.

Why should we as tax payers foot the bill for someone that is not living in the country.

Yours faithfully,

Joe Jordan


Our ref: DE-1114858


Dear Mr Jordan,
Thank you for your email of 14 January about the provision of maternity
services.  I have been asked to reply.

I appreciate your concerns.


The Freedom of Information Act only applies to recorded information such
as paper or electronic archive material.  As your correspondence asked for
general information, rather than requesting recorded information or
documentation, it did not fall under the provisions of the Act.


Section 175 of the National Health Service Act 2006 allows the Secretary
of State for Health to make regulations for the making and recovery of
charges in relation to any person who is not ordinarily resident in Great

Guidance to NHS trusts makes clear that all maternity services – including
routine ante-natal treatment - should be regarded as immediately
necessary.  This means that no woman will be denied maternity services,
even if she cannot pay in advance, although she will still be charged for
treatment and expected to pay later.


Further information can be found in the ‘Guidance on implementing the
overseas visitor charging regulations’, which can be found on the
Government website at:




Healthcare providers are required to take ‘reasonable steps’ to identify
overseas visitors that should be charged, recover the charges and, if
necessary, report any debtors to the Home Office so that they can be
refused a new visa or extension of stay.  Immigration rules allow a person
subject to immigration control with an outstanding debt to the NHS of £500
or more to be refused an immigration application to enter or remain in the


I hope this reply is helpful.

Yours sincerely,
Ola Adigun
Ministerial Correspondence and Public Enquiries
Department of Health and Social Care



Please do not reply to this email. To contact the Department of Health and
Social Care, please visit the [2]Contact DH section on

To receive news about DH: [3]sign up to our monthly newsletter




show quoted sections

Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for
compliance with the Department of Health's policy on the use of electronic
communications. For more information on the Department of Health's e-mail
policy click here


This email was scanned by the Symantec virus scanning service and was
certified virus free.
Communications may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for
legal purposes.


Visible links

Dear Department of Health and Social Care,

I am sorry but why should I as a tax payer have to pay for someone else treatment that is not a citizen.

These people can be taken to a private hospital or be refused entry into the country.

I do not see pregnancy that needs or that requires immediately assistance from medical staff. Please provide legal proof of this is a requirement that I should be forced to fund via my tax.

Women from outside the UK should pay up front as in the past NHS trusts have failed their duty in collecting payment, and this has an affect on the rest of us. If the department orders the trusts to refuse treatment to these people until payment is received what is the worst thing that can happen! Nothing as it doesn't affect citizens and the non citizen should go to a private hospital and pay for it themselves rather then my tax being unlawfully used.

Yours faithfully,

Joe Jordan

Dear Department of Health and Social Care,

Please pass this on to the person who conducts Freedom of Information reviews.

I am writing to request an internal review of Department of Health and Social Care's handling of my FOI request 'Pregnancy of Non citizens'.

Please provide a response to the query, Non citizens that are using the NHS to give birth to their child is a waste of tax payers money. They can be directed to a private clinic. As we are being affected with this policy that is questionable.

Whoever agreed to OUR money being wasted on non citizens in this matter should be sacked and possibly jailed.

WOMEN DO NOT NEED MEDICAL INTERVENTION FOR PREGNANCY. And your departments actions are unlawful.

A full history of my FOI request and all correspondence is available on the Internet at this address:

Yours faithfully,

Joe Jordan

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .