’m a reporter with Newsquest’s Data Investigations Unit. I’m currently looking into issues around homelessness and pregnancy.
I’m hoping to acquire more information about pregnant women attending obstetrics/maternity/antenatal care appointments within your Trust who declared themselves homeless – whether rough sleeping, in temporary accommodation, with no fixed address or sofa surfing.
I’d like full disclosure of data as outlined below and would appreciate your advice and direction, as specified under the Freedom of Information Act, if you feel there’s a way of better refining my request to allow you to retrieve the information I’m interested in.
1. How many pregnant women presenting for initial obstretics/maternity/antenatal care appointments within your Trust declared themselves as homeless or with no fixed address between 2015 and 2019? Please breakdown by year.
2. How many of those pregnant women still declared themselves as homeless or had no fixed address upon being admitted to a labour ward to give birth?
3. For 1 and 2, if the information is available, please breakdown the numbers of women to specify how many were rough sleepers, how many were in temporary accommodation (please give numbers for hostels, B&Bs, refuges or other), or with no fixed address.
4. Please also provide figures for the outcomes of pregnancies for homeless women, broken down by the number that ended with a live birth, the number that underwent terminations, the number that had miscarriages and the number that were stillborn.
5. Please indicate age groups for the number of pregnant women who declared themselves homeless – whether under 20, 20-30, 30-40 or 40+.
6. How many of those who were pregnant had their child removed from their care at birth?
Please disclose your response in an Excel spreadsheet, with headings, where appropriate, as follows:
‘TRUST’ - ‘YEAR’ - ‘NUMBER HOMELESS AT INITIAL APPOINTMENT’ - ‘NUMBER LIVING IN HOSTELS’ - ‘LIVING IN B&B’ - 'ROUGH SLEEPING' - ‘LIVING IN REFUGE’ - ‘WITH NFA’ – ‘STILL HOMELESS WHEN ADMITTED TO LABOUR WARD FOR DELIVERY’ – ‘LIVING IN HOSTEL AT TIME OF DELIVERY’- ‘B&B AT TIME OF DELIVERY’ – REFUGE AT TIME OF DELIVERY – NFA AT TIME OF DELIVERY – NO OF LIVE BIRTHS – NO OF TERMINATIONS – NO OF MISCARRIAGES – NO STILLBIRTHS – AGE UNDER 20 – AGE 20-30 – AGE 30-40 – AGE 40+ - NO OF BABIES REMOVED FROM MOTHER’S CARE
If you identify any problems with this request, as mentioned, I’d appreciate advice, assistance and guidance as to how I can refine it to ensure I get as full a disclosure as is possible.
If there is any reason why you cannot provide every element of disclosure requested, please provide as much as you are able.
Thank you for your email and request for information under the Freedom of
Your request has been acknowledged. Normal Freedom of Information
timescales apply from receipt of your request (20 working days) into this
MEHT FOI mailbox.
We look forward to dealing with your request. Please
contact [Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust request email] with any queries.
With kind regards
Rebecca Pascoe Youell
Public Information Manager
Information in this message may contain confidential and privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our
apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this
e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this
message has gone astray before deleting it. Content of emails received by
this Trust will be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information
Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure,
confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed. Thank
you for your co-operation.
1. mailto:[Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust request email]
Dear Ms Morris,
I am writing in connection with your request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 received by Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust on 23 October 2019.
Please be advised that Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust ceased to exist on 31st March 2020. Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust, formed on 1st April 2020 by merger of the 3 acute trusts in Mid and South Essex, is now responsible for your FOI request.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that you have not yet received a response to your request. This lapse in standards is the result of a number of factors, not least the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our business processes.
Given the time that has elapsed since you submitted your FOI request, we would be most grateful if you could confirm whether or not you still require response. If so, we will expedite completion of your request.
If we do not hear from you by 5pm on 24 August 2020 (five working days), your request will be closed.
You have the right to refer this matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Cheshire. SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545 700
Web Address: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/
With best regards,
Corporate Governance Administrator
Freedom of Information
Corporate Governance & Membership Services
Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now