I’m a reporter with Newsquest’s Data Investigations Unit and I’m currently researching
the policing of sex work.
With that in mind, I’d be grateful if you could provide as full an answer as possible to the questions below. If the questions need refining in order for you to provide that response, please also assist as far as you are able in suggesting appropriate rephrasing.
If you believe the cost/time limit may be exceeded in the carrying out of this request, please prioritise most recent years and work backwards to provide the information requested until you hit the cost/time limit.
With the above in mind, I would like to know:
1. How many arrests the force has carried out in relation to sex work/prostitution offences, including but not limited to:
• Loitering or Soliciting for Prostitution
• Keeping a Brothel
• Paying for Sexual Services
• “Kerb Crawling”
• Advertising - Placing of Adverts in Telephone Boxes
• Advertising - Placing of Advertisements in Newspapers
• Exploitation of Prostitution - Causing or Inciting Prostitution for Gain: Section 52 Sexual Offences Act 2003
• Controlling Prostitution for Gain: Section 53 Sexual Offences Act 2003
• Trafficking for Sexual Exploitation: Section 2 Modern Slavery Act 2015
• Sexual Exploitation of Children
• 'Sex for Rent’ Arrangements and Advertisements
For each offence description listed, I would like to know the number of arrests for each year, broken down for 2015/16/17/18/19 respectively.
2. For each arrest, I would like to know the following:
a. The outcome of the investigation
b. The gender of the person arrested, their age and nationality
c. Whether the arrest resulted in a referral to immigration authorities/officers
d. Where the arrest did result in a referral to immigration authorities, what the outcome of that investigation was
For questions 1 and 2, please provide the answer in an xlsx format, with column headings as follows:
Force Name – Year - Offence Description – Investigation Outcome – Gender of Arrested Person - Age - Nationality – Immigration Referral Y/N – Outcome of Immigration Referral
3. How many operations/raids/crackdowns has the force carried out in relation to issues around sex work/trafficking/prostitution? Please provide for each year between 2015-2019:
a. The date of the operation and its name
b. The purpose of the operation
c. The number of arrests as a result of the operation and what those arrests were for
d. How many officers were involved in carrying out the operation
Please provide information for question 3 in a separate worksheet within the same Excel document with column headings as follows:
Force Name – Year – Date of Operation – Name of Operation – Purpose of Operation – No of Arrests – No of Officers
4. How many PSPOs/ASBOs/FPNs has the force issued (or being involved in the issuing of) in relation to sex work between 2015-2019? For each instance, please breakdown what the orders were issued for and what the terms of them were, in a separate worksheet as follows:
Force Name – Year – PSPO or ASBO – Terms – Amount requested in fines or FPNS
6. Which external charities/support agencies or organisations does the force refer/signpost sex workers to?
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now