Dear Wye Valley NHS Trust,
This request for information is an attempt to seek reassurance about the safety of public buildings in the light of the findings revealed in the Inquiry commissioned following the collapse of a school building wall in Edinburgh and subsequent closure of 17 schools.
Please answer the following for each PFI/PPP schemes in your health trust treating each scheme as a separate request.
Please provide all documents showing how your organisation has responded to the findings contained in the report on Edinburgh Schools Construction by John Cole: including, but not limited to memos, emails, minutes, reports.
I would like to understand the expertise and resource committed by your organisation to the management and oversight of PFI schemes from procurement through to ongoing contract operation. Please provide documents relating to the PFI Team(s) allocated to each project its makeup and structure of the team during each project phase. This may comprise terms of reference, organisation chart, post titles and role profiles.
Provide the deed of appointment for the Independent Certifier and any other documents setting out the scope of that role. Please confirm the level of indemnity insurance and liability period.
Please confirm whether your organisation employed a member of the Institute of Clerk of Works or an inspector of similar standing and assigned them to each construction site. If someone in this role was employed please confirm their level of qualification, the salary associated with this role and how much time was allocated to per project/site.
Please provide a list of all enforcement or improvement notices served; investigations carried out and reports commissioned into fire safety (include dates and specify who commissioned or issued these) Please provide copies of all items listed.
Provide details of all attempts to make deductions relating to structural defects for each project. Confirm the amount, what it was for, and when the deduction was made.5
WYE VALLEY NHS TRUST
Tel: 01432 364000
20th June 2017
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 – INFORMATION REQUEST 6170
Thank you for your request for information.
Wye Valley NHS Trust responds as attached and below:
1. There was no specific action taken in relation to the Inquiry
2. The project is managed by the Estates and Facilities function including a Contract Manager and Monitoring Manager ( job descriptions attached).
3. There was no 'Independent Certifier'
4. There was no client appointed Clerk of Works but note the following from the Contract
"MONITORING SURVEYOR AND COMPANY'S AGENT Appointment of Monitoring Surveyor:
The Trust shall appoint a duly authorised monitoring surveyor (the “Monitoring Surveyor”) for the purpose of this agreement. The Monitoring Surveyor at the date hereof is Strategic Healthcare Planning Limited of Grosvenor House, Central Telford, TF2 9TU acting through its director, Christopher Wood. The Company is deemed to have consented to his appointment. Any notice, information or communication which is permitted by this agreement to be given or made to the Monitoring Surveyor shall be deemed to have been given or made to the Trust if given or made to the Monitoring Surveyor. Save as otherwise expressly provided herein any notice, information or communication given or made to an authorised deputy shall be deemed to have been given to the Trust or the Monitoring Surveyor. The Company shall not be obliged to serve any such notices on the deputies from time to time if the Monitoring Surveyor is available to receive such notice."
5. Enforcement Notice attached
6. Fire risk assessments are carried out continually as part of business as usual but the report from Hoare Lea that was commissioned following the Enforcement Notice is too large to attach. It is available to read or a paper copy can be sent to you. Under our publication scheme we will charge you for a paper copy. Fees can be found in our Publication Scheme at www.wyevalley.nhs.uk . For your information the Hoare Lea Report is 272 pages and the charges will be up to 21 sheets free and thereafter an invoice will be raised for £6.30 plus 30pence each additional sheet. We will also charge for postage.
7. No deductions have been made or attempted in relation to structural defects.
If you have queries or any concerns contact details are given at the top of the letter. Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.
If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request and wish to make a complaint or request a review of our decision, you should write to:
Wye Valley NHS Trust
The County Hospital
Email: [email address]
If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone: 01625 545 745 www.ico.gov.uk
Susan Clark – Corporate Governance Officer