Permanent Residence Card "Renewal" & VISA Premium Service for Non-EEA spouse of EEA national

kumi made this Freedom of Information request to Home Office

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear Home Office,

I am a Non-EEA spouse of an EEA national. I have been living in the UK for 17 years and I am currently on "10-year Permanent Residence Card” and its “Document Renewal Date” is coming in several weeks.

The HR Department of the company I work for told me to renew my residence card as soon as possible. They told me to apply for BRP (Biometric Residence Permit), because that is now the official form of the residence permit for Non-EEA nationals like myself.
I need to get my passport back quickly for travel, and they suggested that I use the “VISA Premium Service”, as the service is quick and I do not need to send my passport with the application.

According to my research on all the government sites, however, the only way to renew my residence permit as “a Non-EEA family member of an EEA national” is by applying using the “EEA (PR) form”, for which the Home Office does not offer the “VISA Premium Service”.
However, my HR Department insists that I should be able to apply for BRP with the VISA Premium Service.

I am not sure what I should do. I do not wish to waste time and money by applying for the wrong thing and being rejected for it.

I would be grateful if you could kindly tell me what is the correct and quickest way to renew my residence permit.

Thank you very much in advance.

Yours faithfully,


Dear kumi,

Thank you for using UKVI Contact Centre Services for enquiry Reference #
170818-002292. We hope that we answered your enquiry to your satisfaction.
Please take a moment to complete our short survey.

[1]Click here to take this survey.

If you have any further enquiries please visit our website at

Kind regards,

UKVI Contact Centre

Website: [3]



Visible links

UK Visas and Immigration,

Dear Kumi
Thank you for your enquiry dated 13th August about your permanent
residence card.
You are correct, the only way to apply for a new card is by using the EEA
[PR] form. There is no premium service available for this application.
However, if your employer checked your current permanent residence
document during their right-to-work document checks, then they obtained a
permanent statutory excuse against any potential civil penalty, and do not
need to carry out any further right-to-work checks upon you since that
document was checked.
You could provide them with the telephone number 0300 123 5434 which is
for a Home Office department called Preventing Illegal Working and an
agent there can explain the above to them.
Please note the onus is upon individual customers to ensure that they
satisfy the requirements set out in the guidance material. The guidance
material accompanies each and every application form. UK Visas and
Immigration is not able to give, indicate or advise upon the outcome of
any such application prior to it being given full and careful

Directing you to the guidance material is the only advice we can give you.
If you need any further help you should seek independent immigration
advice. Immigration advisers can help you with immigration matters,
including completion of forms and representing you at a tribunal. The
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates
immigration advisers, which mean they must meet certain standards.
Please see the below link to find an immigration adviser:

Yours Faithfully,

Alex Fonzarelli
UKVI Contact Centre



UKVI Contact Centre

Website: [2]




Visible links
1. Click to follow link:

Dear UK Visas and Immigration,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Yours sincerely,