Dear Medway Council,
We act for a Client in a claim for damages arising out of his development of the asbestos related disease, mesothelioma.
Our Client believes that he was exposed to asbestos whilst carrying out construction works on the Pentagon Shopping Centre sometime in the early 1970s.
We are currently investigating our client's claim and write to you with a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
We are making this request under the above Act and Regulations. We request the following:
1. Copies of all asbestos registers in relation to the Pentagon Shopping Centre, Chatham.
2. Copies of all asbestos surveys and site plans identifying the locations where asbestos has been identified on site.
3. All documents relating to the presence of asbestos at the Pentagon Shopping Centre, Chatham to include asbestos sample reports, air tests and documents in relation to the removal of asbestos.
4. Copies of correspondence sent regarding asbestos hazards within the centre.
5. Copies of asbestos policies and procedures.
6. If asbestos has been removed from the centre, details of the contractors who removed the asbestos together with associated documents.
7. Documents in relation to the buildings that were erected between 1970-1995.
8. Any copies of correspondence or documents received or sent to the Health and Safety Executive.
9. Details of any reported incidents of asbestos exposure to date.
10. Details of any improvement or prohibition notices served or guidance issued by the HSE in relation to the management of asbestos to date.
11. Details of the constructions and works to the C&A store within the pentagon in the 1970s
We look forward to receiving the documents that we have requested above. If you are not able to provide the documents please indicate the reason why the documents are not available, for example, if the documents have never existed.
If you are not able to answer the above questions or cannot provide the documents and are relying on an exemption please confirm the specific exemption that you are relying upon.
We look forward to receiving your response within the statutory timeframe (20 working days).
Thank you for contacting Medway Council. This response is to acknowledge your email has been received. If this is an initial request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or Environmental Information Regulations 2004, you can expect to receive a response within 20 working days.
If your email relates to a current request for information, your email will be forwarded to the relevant case officer.
Should your email be because you are dissatisfied with the way we have processed your request the Council has an internal review process and your email will be forwarded to the Information Governance Team for review, you should receive a response within 20 working days.
If you remain dissatisfied you have the right to appeal to the Information Commissioners' Office (ICO) www.ico.org.uk/concerns
Information Governance Apprentice
Medway Council and Gravesham Borough Council
[Medway Council request email]
This Email, and any attachments, may contain Protected or Restricted information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contains sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly.Nothing in this email message amounts to a contractual or other legal commitment on the part of Medway Council and Gravesham Borough Council. If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately.Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses, any attachments to this Email may nevertheless contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify. You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents. Medway Council and Gravesham Borough Council will not accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this e-mail. All Medway Council and Gravesham Borough Council and PSN traffic may be subject to recording and / or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.
Our Ref: DocumentOwner\MFOI006016\DocumentRef
Dear Rebecca Foster
Please find attached the response to your FOI.
I have referred your enquiry to Planning in case they hold any records in relation to Q11. The Food and Safety Team deals with H&S for commercial premises but we do not hold any records relating to your questions.
You may wish to refer your enquiry to the HSE in case that agency can assist you.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now