Pension fund's investments in tobacco bonds/shares
Dear Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council,
I am seeking information about the value of the local authority pension fund’s investment in tobacco shares and bonds, as well as the income from those investments. Please provide whatever answers you can to the following.
1. What is the most recent available value of the pension fund?
2. What is the value of the fund’s directly-held investment in shares or bonds of the following companies: British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Japan Tobacco International, Altria Group Inc, Philip Morris International, Universal Corp, Alliance One International?
3. What is the total combined value of the fund’s directly-held investments in the companies named above?
4. What income did the fund receive from these investments in the last 12-month period for which records are available?
5. Does the fund have any other investments in tobacco via pooled investments? What is the value of these?
6. What is the local authority’s annual spend on smoking-related illness?
7. Please supply the number of deaths attributable to smoking in the local authority areas covered by your pension fund. Your Director of Public Health or equivalent should be able to supply this figure.
If you require clarification on any of the above questions, please get in touch on 0203 353 3616, or 07415154041 or email me at [email address]
I refer to the request, which you have made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 for records held by this service.
Your request was received by this department on 17 April 2018.
A final decision on your request would normally be sent to you within 20 working days of receipt of your request. This means that you can expect to receive your decision by 16 May 2018.
There are some limited situations under the Freedom of Information Act, which could mean that the period for a final decision may be longer than the normal 20 working days. If this occurs in your request, we will promptly advise you in writing.
Should our final decision not reach you on time, please feel free to call the contact officer named above to discuss any problems that may have arisen.
Information Rights Officer
Dear Mr Davies
Thank you for your recent request for information made under the Freedom
of Information Act 2000.
Gateshead Council does not hold the information sought in questions 1, 2,
3, 4 and 5. You can request this information from South Tyneside Council,
who manages Gateshead Council's pension fund, at http://www.twpf.info
Q6. As the question relates specifically to costs to the local authority
arising from smoking related illness, not prevention, the ASH Ready
Reckoner gives estimated costs to social care arising from smoking related
illnesses at a local authority level here -
Q7. The Local Tobacco Control Profiles give smoking attributable
mortality at local authority level. The Gateshead figures are here -
Please contact me directly if you require any further information.
Public Health Programme Lead
Public Health Team
Telephone: 0191 433 2929
Email: [email address]
Click images below to be taken to their website
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now