Dear Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust,
I understand that you are one of five NHS acute Trusts in The Black Country who plan to build a major extension to the pathology lab on the Wolverhampton Hospital site, whilst retaining some urgent testing at the hospital sites. Please provide the following information:
- The amount of capital investment required to build and equip the new laboratory
- When construction work will commence on this laboratory
- A list of alternative options considered
- A summary of consultation with patients and GPs affected
- Any assessment of the impact on the time from blood being taken from a patient to results being available to doctors. The average travel time must be longer and the average time must increase.
- Any lessons learned from other NHS hub labs, such as the ones in East Anglia which are considered to have failed.
- Whether a model was considered which distributed different specialist tests across different sites, and maintained high volume blood science testing at all hospital sites. There is emerging evidence that this provides a lower cost and more resilient model, without the need to invest in building a new laboratory.
Thank you for your freedom of information request received on 9 November 2018 (below).
Your request will now be considered in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000. You will receive a response within the statutory timescale of 20 working days after the date of receipt as defined by the Act, subject to the information not being exempt or containing a reference to a third party. In some circumstances we may be unable to achieve this deadline. If this is likely you will be informed and given a revised timescale at the earliest opportunity.
In some cases there may be a fee payable for the retrieval, collation and provision of the information you request. If this is the case you will be informed and the 20 working day timescale will be suspended until we receive payment from you. If you choose not to make payment then your request will remain unanswered.
Some requests may also require either full or partial transference to another public authority in order to answer your query in the fullest possible way. Again, you will be informed if this is the case.
Head of Corporate Governance/Trust Board Secretary
0121 507 3837
Trust Headquarters, Health and Wellbeing Centre, Sandwell General Hospital, Lyndon, West Bromwich B71 4HJ
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now