Dear Durham Constabulary,
1a. Please provide the number of arrests you made in 2019/20 regarding online sexual offences of any kind related to children.
1b. Please provide a breakdown of all the sexual offences associated with these arrests:
e.g. section 8 of SOA 2003 [insert number]; section 10 of SOA 2003 [insert number]; section 12 of SOA 2003 [insert number] section 14 of SOA 2003 [insert number]; and section 15 of SOA [insert number]; section 127 of the Communications Act 2003 [insert number].
1c. Please specify the number of these arrests that involved at least one child decoy. By 'child decoy' I am referring to an adult who pretends to be a child.
2. Please provide the number of arrests you made in 2019/20 in connection with online sexual offences against children based on evidence acquired by your own officers acting as decoys.
3. Please provide the number of arrests you made in 2019/20 in connection with online sexual offences against children based on evidence provided to you by so-called paedophile hunters.
4. Please provide the names of all so-called paedophile hunting groups who provided information to you that led to the arrest of individuals in connection with sexual offences against children in 2019/20.
Due to the Coronavirus/COVID 19 pandemic and the changing circumstances
for all, the Unit must prioritise essential safeguarding work for the
health and social care sector, and also for the Family Court. Delays in
other areas are likely to occur and may fall outside any statutory or
other expected timescales. We apologise for any inconvenience this may
cause, we will of course endeavour to process your request as soon as
practicable. If your enquiry and/or request is not urgent or can be
retracted at any stage, please let us know as soon as possible via our
published email addresses. From Thursday 5th November 2020, our Office is
closed and we will therefore not be able to collect correspondence sent
via post. We thank you for your understanding and support and wish you and
your family well during these uncertain times.
DURHAM CONSTABULARY, Protecting Neighbourhoods, Tackling Criminals,
Solving Problems…Around the Clock
NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING: Use your postcode to get access to local news and
events from your Neighbourhood Policing Team, at
This email carries a disclaimer, a copy of which may be read at
Please find attached the response to the request.
Freedom of Information Decision Maker.
Business Innovation & Development Command
Our Values & Vision:
Positive | Fair | Courageous | Inclusive | With Integrity
Protecting Neighbourhoods, Tackling Criminals, Solving Problems
Dear Freedom of Information,
Your Ref: DC/FOI 07/21
Thank you for your response. I wish to refine my request.
1. Number of crime reports for grooming offences recorded with an online marker attached, for 2019/2020.
2. Of which, the number resulting in a charge.
3. Of those resulting in a charge, the number involving a child decoy.
4. Of those resulting in a charge, the number involving a police decoy.
5. Of those resulting in a charge, the number involving a paedophile hunter group.
6. The names of the paedophile hunter groups involved in cases were individuals were charged.
7. The names of the paedophile hunter groups involved in reporting the offences identified in 1.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now