Number of BGP RPM places awarded in English by university

Richard Hollinshead made this Freedom of Information request to Arts and Humanities Research Council

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Richard Hollinshead

Dear Arts and Humanities Research Council,

Your document "summary of BGP studentships.xls" reveals that beginning for the period 2009-2013, 57 or 58 Research Preparation Masters Studentships have been given to organisations (universities or other HEIs) for "English Language and Literature" for each year. I would like to know which universities have received them and how many places each university has received.

Yours faithfully,

Richard Hollinshead

Graham Hardy (AHRC),

1 Attachment

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your request for information which AHRC received on the 18th
February 2011. I can confirm that AHRC hold the information you have

Please find attached a spreadsheet listing the Research Preparation
Masters allocation for each HEI.  The BGP allocations for 2009/10 and
2010/11 are accurate, but those for the final 3 years of the BGP are not
going to be entirely accurate, as AHRC are working on a new (reduced) BGP
allocation.  The universities will now be receiving details of their
funding and the number of awards in each of the schemes that this equates
to (Doctoral, RPM & PPM), but they will not be told how many of their
awards should fall in each subject area.  It will be up to them to follow
roughly the subject spread of their original allocation.  So although
AHRC can provide what the universities were originally allocated, AHRC
cannot tell you what they will actually allocate to this subject area in
the upcoming years.

I hope that this provides adequate information for you, but if you have
any queries regarding the response provided please contact me in the first

Yours sincerely


Graham Hardy | Information Services Manager

AHRC | Polaris House, North Star Ave, Swindon. SN2 1FL

Phone 01793 41 6017

Email [1][email address]

Web [2]

If you are dissatisfied with how I have handled your request, you may
register a formal complaint with the AHRC’s Complaints Officer at
[3][email address], who will conduct an internal review.

If you are not happy with the outcome of the internal review, you have the
right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner, Information
Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire,
SK9 5AF, Tel: 01625 545700, [4]

show quoted sections

Richard Hollinshead

Dear Mr Hardy,

Thanks for your prompt reply and for the information itself. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Yours sincerely,

Richard Hollinshead