Nsl enforcement

The request was partially successful.

Dear Department for Infrastructure (Northern Ireland),
As we all know the new bus lanes have started operating in west belfast for the glider system.

My questions are as follows
1. Are nsl enforcement officers using mopeads to enforce bus lane legislation to civillians using domestic and commercial vehicals allowed to park said mopeads in buslanes blocking the lanes there supposed to keep clear while working ?

2. What is the current legislation in place used to enforce west belfast bus lanes

Yours faithfully,

James daly

DfI Roads Parking, Department for Infrastructure (Northern Ireland)

1 Attachment

Dear Mr Daly


Thank you for your Freedom of Information request to the Department dated
25th July.


In considering your request on behalf of the Department I have determined
that the information requested falls under the aegis of the Environmental
Information Regulations (EIR) 2004, as opposed to the FOI Act 2000. A
guide explaining the Environmental Information Regulations can be found





1.      Relevant bus lane and parking legislation provides exemptions for
vehicles being used "in the services of the Department in pursuance of its
statutory powers or duties". It is this exemption which enables parking
enforcement vehicles, such as the NSL enforcement motorcycles you refer
to, to park in a bus lane if required.


2.      Please see attached copy of the current legislation in place used
to enforce West Belfast bus lanes i.e.: The Bus Lanes (Belfast Rapid
Transit, East and West Corridors) Order (Northern Ireland) 2018.


If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request, you have the
right to ask for an internal review. Internal review requests should be
submitted within two months of the date of receipt of the response to your
original letter and should be addressed to:


Departmental Information Manager

Room 4.32

Clarence Court

10-18, Adelaide Street




Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future


If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have
the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a
decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information
Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9

The supply of information under the Environmental Information Regulations
does not give the recipient or organisation that receives it the automatic
right to reuse it in any way that would infringe copyright.  This
includes, for example, making multiple copies, publishing issuing copies
to the public.  Permission to re-use the information must be obtained in
advance from the Controller of HMSO who has responsibility for the
licensing of Crown Copyright material.  For further details on how to
apply for a license please see:




Copyright in other documents may rest with a third party.  For information
about obtaining permission from a third party please see the Intellectual
Property Office’s website: www.ipo.gov.uk


Yours sincerely,


Hugh Larmour

Department for Infrastructure

Parking Enforcement Unit

Clarence Court

10 - 18 Adelaide Street




show quoted sections