Murder statistics

Alagappan Muthu made this Freedom of Information request to Criminal Records Bureau

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Criminal Records Bureau did not have the information requested.

Dear Criminal Records Bureau,

My name is Alagappan Muthu. I'm a Journalism student at Edinburgh Napier University and I'm working on a project exploring the merits and demerits of social media and I was wondering if you could provide me with the following information

How many major crimes (kidnapping, rape and murder) have happened where the perpetrator found his victim(s) through social media in the last year?

Yours faithfully,

Alagappan Muthu

CRB Freedom Of Information, Criminal Records Bureau

Dear Alagappan

Thank you for your email.

The Criminal Records Bureau remit is to assist UK employers in the recruitment process of individuals who will be working with children and vulnerable adults by issuing "Certificates".

The CRB does not hold a copy of the Police National Computer (PNC) record of convictions. The system held by the CRB is known as a PNC Extract. The extract contains basic identifying details such as name and date of birth of persons included on the PNC. The extract does not contain any conviction information. The police force both own and maintain all information contained on the PNC.

The CRB issues Higher Level Certificates for employment and licensing purposes, as provided for in part V of the Police Act 1997. Higher Level CRB checks (Standard and Enhanced) can only be asked for in relation to positions that are included in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (ROA) (Exceptions) Order 1975. These are positions/licensing requirements for which an employer/regulatory authority may ask to see spent as well as unspent conviction information, cautions, reprimands and warnings held on the Police National Computer (PNC).

The CRB do not hold the information you request. As explained above, the CRB do not own or maintain criminal record information, this is held by the Police.

You may wish to forward your request to the police directly .

Kind Regards

Elise Snelham
CRB Freedom of Information Team

show quoted sections

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .