MPs 'Contract of Employment'

Paul Perrin made this Freedom of Information request to House of Commons

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

House of Commons did not have the information requested.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to know the duties and responsiblities that an MP is required to discharge in return for their pay.

I would like a definitive list of these duties/responsibilities and references to the documents that set them out.

Should there be any legal reason not to provide a definitive list, as extensive a list as possible would still be of use to me.

Yours faithfully,

Paul Perrin

FOICOMMONS, House of Commons

Dear Mr Perrin,

Thank you for your email dated 5 April 2009 and received 6 April 2009.

We shall deal with your request promptly and let you have a response by
7 May 2009.

If you have any queries about your request, please contact me.

Mandy Kelly
Freedom of Information Assistant

show quoted sections

FOICOMMONS, House of Commons

Dear Mr Perrin,

Thank you for your request for information which is copied below.

Members of Parliament are Office holders and are not employees of the
House of Commons. There is no statutory job description for MPs. The
Code of Conduct for Members of Parliament provides assistance. The
purpose of the Code is "to assist Members in the discharge of their
obligations to the House, their constituents and the public at large".
You can view the Code on the Parliament website. .

You may also find it useful to refer to various Senior Salaries Review
Board (SSRB) reports where the duties of an MP have been considered, for
example Review of Parliamentary pay and allowances 1996 Vol 2

You may, if dissatisfied with the treatment of your request, ask the
House of Commons to conduct an internal review of this decision.
Requests for internal review should be addressed to: Freedom of
Information Officer, Department of Resources, House of Commons London
SW1 OAA or [House of Commons request email] . Please ensure that you specify the
nature of your complaint and any arguments or points that you wish to

If you remain dissatisfied, you may appeal to the Information
Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.

Yours sincerely

Bob Castle
Head of Information Rights and Information Security
House of Commons

show quoted sections