Motorcycle Licence

The request was successful.

Dear Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency,

I am an EU citizen with a full EU driving licence (Car). Approximately a year ago I went about getting my motorcycle licence and managed to get my (EU) motorcycle provisional licence. Since then I have moved to the UK and want to continue the process here.

My question: Can I continue to the next stage whereby I book my CBT and eventually go on to get a full UK motorcycle licence or do I need to re-start the process using a UK provisional licence?

Yours faithfully,

Mr Galvin.

DVLA Contact Centre, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

Dear Mr Galvin,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 26/4/2019.
Your case reference number is 01435247.

I appreciate you contacting DVLA to seek clarification on the matter.

Customers who have EU or EEA licences with just car entitlement can only
register with us if they want to take a driving test in another category. 

To obtain a D9, you will need to complete the D9 application form, include
your EU/EEA licence and send it to the following address;

SA99 1BH

There is no fee for this application. 

Once this test has been passed, you can then exchange for a UK licence.

Use a D1 form for cars or motorbikes, or D2 for lorries and buses. These
can be ordered [1]here.  Alternatively, you can get one from
selected [2]Post Offices® that offer driving licence transactions.

Please note: If you are aged 45 or over and drive lorries and buses you
will also need to include a [3]D4 medical report.  


• To include the relevant ID

• To include your current driving licence (if you have lost it, please
mention this on the form)

• To include 1 Passport standard photograph

• The fee is £43.00

• Your driving licence will not be returned to you.  We must send it to
the issuing authority as part of our exchange agreement.

What ID do I need to send?
You will need to send proof of your identity with the application. To
check what ID you can send and how this will be returned, please see the
full list of acceptable documents [4]here.

Where should I send the application?
SA99 1BT

How long will it take?
Please allow up to 3 weeks for your updated licence to be sent to you. 

I hope this is of assistance. 

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this
response then please use our [5]reply form link or copy and paste the
following URL in to your browser:

Best Regards
L Thomas

[6]DVLA Email Logo

We always welcome feedback, [7]click here to complete a feedback survey

New vehicle tax rates for cars registered on or after 1 April 2017.
Find out more at: [8]
Twitter: [9]@dvlagovuk | Facebook: [10]dvlagovuk | YouTube: [11]dvlagov


Visible links
8. file:///tmp/
9. file:///tmp/
10. file:///tmp/
11. file:///tmp/