This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Minutes from Directors and Heads/Governors meetings'.


 
MINUTES of the meeting of the Directors of The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools 
held at Aylesbury High School on 23rd November 2016 at 12 noon. 
 
PRESENT: 

David Hudson (Chairman) 
Peter Holding 
 
David Atkinson 
Annmarie McNaney 
 
Stephen Box 
Alan Rosen 
 
Andrew Gillespie 
Rachel Smith 
 
Tracey Hartley 
Mark Sturgeon 
 
 
Phil Wayne 
 
 
 
IN ATTENDANCE: 
Caroline Cobb (Clerk) 
Sue Walton 
 
Debbie Munday (BucksCC) 
 
 
 
 
ABSENT: 
Sharon Cromie 
 
 
Alan Roe 
 
 
 
 

 
ACTION 

NOTIFICATION OF ANY OTHER BUSINESS 
 
 
There were no items of Any Other Business. 
 

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST 
 
 
There were no declarations of interest in the forthcoming agenda.  
 

REPORT FROM THE PROCUREMENT COMMITTEE 
 
 
Sue Walton reported the committee had met to review the 
documentation, which has now been returned to VWV.  Everything is on 
track to go live on 28th November 2016.  Costs have increased and data 
clauses have been revised and compliance with new legislation (2017) 
has been included.  TBGS has now been registered as a data controller 
with the ICO.  The next meeting of the committee will be held on 18th 
January, to follow the next TBGS meeting and interviews will be held on 
24th January 2017 at RGS. 
 
Debbie Munday came into the meeting. 
 

MINUTES AND MATTERS ARISING 
 
 
4.1 
MINUTES  
 
 
 
The Minutes of the meeting held on 21st September 2016, having been 
 

 
 
ACTION 
circulated, were confirmed and signed by the Chairman as a correct 
 
record. 
 
 
4.2 
MATTERS ARISING 
 
 
 
 
 
Website – Sue Walton reported good progress is being made and the 
 
site will go live shortly. 
 
Heads of Sixth Form – Mr Rosen reported the meeting was a success 
 
and all who attended found it very useful and they have agreed to meet 
 
termly. 
 
Google Drive – All agreed to share documents via Google Drive 
Social Mobility Working Group – Andrew Gillespie agreed to convene 
 
a meeting of the group with an agenda of looking at ways in which TBGS  Agenda 
can develop still further its work on social mobility. 
 
Late Testing – A report was previously circulated with 3 options for 
 
Directors to consider.  Debbie Munday reported she has attended a 
 
meeting of the Primary Executive Board (PEB) where primary school 
 
engagement with selection testing was discussed.  Directors agreed 
 
further consideration on how to support primary schools should take 
Agenda 
place at the next meeting. All agreed there should be no change to the 
 
current late testing process for out of County children but that Bucks 
 
children could be tested at a grammar school if they are absent on the 
test day if their primary school found it too difficult to organize a later 
 
session.  If in-county children missing the main test date were to be 
Debbie Munday 
centrally tested, tracking sheets would be needed from all the primary 
to circulate rota 
schools within a very short timescale or a different method used to 
obtain the necessary information in order for these children to be tested 
and results received before the October school application deadline. 
Also, the first available session may not be close to where the children 
live, which could inconvenience families.  All agreed that they would take 
it in turns to host the late testing sessions. It was agreed that the number 
of testing session would be reduced to 5 (October, December, February, 
April, July) plus a final session in September for Year 7 immediate 
admission.  Prior publication of agreed testing dates in advance would 
help manage parents’ expectations if there were reduced options. 
 

HIGHLIGHT REPORT FROM SUE WALTON 
 
 
 
The report had been previously circulated.  There was nothing further to 
report. 
 

COMPANY INSURANCE 
 
 
All agreed insurance cover to be taken out as per the proposal from 
Rebecca Wilson at a cost of £1,133. The cover would be as follows: 
 
Public liability - £2,000,000 
Professional Indemnity and Directors and Officers liability - £1,000,000 
Corporate Legal Liability - £100,000 
Legal Expenses - £100,000 per incident and £1,000,000 in aggregate 
 

INDEPENDENT REVIEW PANELS 
 
 
Debbie Munday confirmed the Local Authority could manage 
independent review panels (re permanent exclusions) for those who 
have a contract for the Local Authority to manage their appeals. 
 
 
 

 
 
ACTION 

FUNDING UPDATE 
 
 
Mr Rosen reported there would hopefully be a presentation on funding at 
BASH.  At School’s Forum a discussion took place and it was felt 
funding could drop by 1.5% for 2017/18.  The LA has significantly over 
spent on High Needs, Bucks pays more for SEND pupils compared to 
other LA’s.  Mr Rosen had also done the calculations for where Bucks 
Grammar schools sit on funding nationally and the Royal Latin School 
continues to be the worst funded secondary school nationally. 
 

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUESTS 
 
 
The Chairman reported requests continue to be received and responded 
to as soon as practical and within the required timelines. 
 
10 
CEM REPORT ON THE 2017 ENTRY SECONDARY TRANSFER   
TEST 
 
Gideon Copestake and Cathy Rooney from CEM came into the meeting.  
Reports had been previously circulated. Arising from the reports: 

  Directors noted the test had overall worked extremely well 
  The reliability of the test was also very good 
  Peter Holding stated social mobility needs to be considered and 
how this can be incorporated 
  Gideon Copestake asked if there was any feedback on the 
current Year 7 who had taken the test?  The Chairman 
responded their performance has been very good 
  Cathy Rooney reported DRS managed the distribution of the 
test papers much better than in 2015.  DRS were closely 
monitored and they demonstrated how much they had improved 
their systems 
  The test admin guidance will be further reviewed to make it 
more user friendly and to make return instructions clearer 
 
11 
DATES AND TIMES OF FUTURE MEETINGS 
 
 
 
The dates and times of the future meetings were agreed as follows with 
All to note 
a starting time of 8am at Aylesbury High School 
 
Wednesday 18th January 2017 
Wednesday 8th March 2017 
Wednesday 26th April 2017 
Wednesday 21st June 2017 
 
 
The meeting closed at 2.45pm 
 
 
 
 
Signed ……………………………………………………… Date …………………… 
                                 CHAIRMAN