Maternity provision for fixed-term post-doctoral researchers
Dear Hertford College, Oxford,
I am trying to find out more about maternity provision for post-doctoral researchers in Cambridge and Oxford, and hope you can answer the following questions for me:
1) Does your college employ Junior Research Fellows, or have an equivalent paid fixed-term post-doctoral research position?
2) If so, are such researchers eligible for maternity leave and pay? Please give details of any existing policy, and whether it has been applied in the last five years.
3) If maternity leave is taken by a JRF or post-doctoral researcher on a fixed-term contract, is the duration of the position extended by an amount of time equivalent to the time taken as leave, so that research time and funding is not lost as a result of taking leave? Please provide any details.
Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
Dear J Iqbal,
In answer to your questions below:
1) Hertford employs JRFs on a regular basis.
2) Yes, all employees are eligible for Parental leave, and our ploy is set
out in our employee handbook available on our website at
www.hertford.ox.ac.uk. No JRF has applied in the past five years.
3) Our policy for any research Fellow on a fixed-term appointment taking
such leave is that there should be an extension of the the contract so as
to ensure total research time is not lost.
Bursar and Fellow
Hertford College, Catte Street
Oxford, OX1 3BW
T: +44 (0)1865 279414
M: +44 (0)7973 994499
E: [email address]
PA: Sue Geddes
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now