Dear Royal Museums Greenwich,
Please find below my FOI request regarding malicious emails sent to the department.
The date range for the requests is from 2018 to present day. The data shall include a breakdown by year and by individual departments (e.g. separate departments, agencies, or public bodies within the main government agency), if applicable.
1. How many malicious emails have been successfully blocked?
2. What percentage of malicious emails were opened by staff?
3. What percentage of malicious links in the emails were clicked on by staff?
4. How many ransomware attacks were blocked by the department?
5. How many ransomware attacks were successful?
Dear Rebecca Moody,
Thank you for your email of 11 November 2021 which I confirm has been dealt with in accordance with Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Please find below responses to your questions:
Please note that we only have data back to August 2020 when we swapped providers from Mimecast to Microsoft ATP. The figures below are from Microsoft ATP from August 2020 through to Nov 19 2021.
1. How many malicious emails have been successfully blocked? 110,914
2. What percentage of malicious emails were opened by staff? 0.89%
3. What percentage of malicious links in the emails were clicked on by staff? 0.11%
4. How many ransomware attacks were blocked by the department? Known - 15
5. How many ransomware attacks were successful? None
I hope that you are happy with the service you have received in relation to your request but if not and you wish to make a complaint you should in the first instance write to me, Jane Costantini, Governance and Museum Records Manager.
If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. (Generally, the Information Commissioner cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the above complaints procedure provided by the National Maritime Museum.)
The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Please note: The personal information which you have given to us will be used only to administer your request under the Freedom of Information Act. It will be deleted three years after the correspondence has ceased. Please contact me if you require further information.
Governance and Museum Records Manager
Royal Museums Greenwich
National Maritime Museum | Royal Observatory Greenwich | The Queen's House | Cutty Sark
Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
direct +44 (0) 208 312 6636
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now