loss of hearing

eric jolliffe made this Freedom of Information request to Ministry of Defence

This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.

Waiting for an internal review by Ministry of Defence of their handling of this request.

Dear Sir or Madam, I served for 26 years in trade group 11, Comms Systems Analyst, in my first medical I was classified A1G1 but before I left the RAF in 1986 I was already suffering hearing problems which were almost certainly caused by the continual wearing of earphones (during the Falklands Campaign I was wearing them up to 16 hours per day). Now I am finding it very hard to hear when there is any ambient noise around and also experiencing tinnitus.

Would you please tell me if I am entitled to any help in purchasing a hearing aid and can I claim any compensation?

L0682417 FS E.C Jolliffe

Yours faithfully,


Dear Ministry of Defence,
earlier this year, around april, i sent an email requesting information regarding compensation for loss of hearing as a result of my work in the RAF. to date no response though the original reply to my email stated i would receive an answer in late may.

not satisfied with the total silence emanating from the mod.

Yours faithfully,

eric jolliffe

Ewan Lawrie left an annotation ()

I'm surprised you expected to hear anything, given the nature of your enquiry.

I haven't heard of anyone having much luck with this one.

John Smith left an annotation ()


You'd be better off contacting the MOD agency that deals specifically with veteran issues - their website lists a freephone number and an e-mail address for questions of this kind from former Service personnel.

eric jolliffe

Dear Ministry of Defence,
can i ever expect to get a response to my enquiry about loss of hearing originall sent to you in december 2009 with a follow up early this year?

Yours faithfully,

eric jolliffe

eric jolliffe

Dear Ministry of Defence,

can i assume that my request for information about partial loss of hearing whilst serving in the RAF has fallen upon deaf ears?

Yours faithfully,

eric jolliffe


Dear Mr Jolliffe,

I have been asked to inform you to contact Service Pensions & Veterans
Agency (SPVA) direct with your query and an address so that they may
respond to you.

The address to write to or email is:



Innsworth House

Imjin Barracks




Email Address

[email address]


VC206 left an annotation ()

In my view the MoD have interpreted this request wrongly. By redirecting they have treated the request not as FoI but as DPA when they should be making it clear what help and compensation is available to any Veteran with hearing loss. So I would seek a review of this request and suggest the MoD provide details of current help and compensation and as well as past help and compensation so we can see if help is and compensation are being reduced or increased.

As it happens, someone had a lot of luck last year. A solicitor won £330,000 compensation for a young soldier who had his hearing damaged by gunfire after being told to remove his ear defenders. He was not entitled to a penny under the Army's compensation scheme and never saw active service. http://menmedia.co.uk/news/business/s/11...

Other countries recognise this as a problem and have done something about it, the Republic of Ireland for example http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/3...

I trust this helps.

VC206 left an annotation ()

Since posting it's been brought to my attention that RBL used to take this sort of thing on, so it's worth contacting them to see what help is still available.

Note: Contrary to popular belief, RBL is not a Nationwide charity, but cover England, Wales and now NI. Exceptionally they may extend help to those in Scotland if funded and directed to do so by the MoD. If that's not the case then contact PoppyScotland for advice.