Dear Ministry of Defence,
I request the following information under FOIA.
Afghanistan Locally Employed Staff Statistics
1. Total number of locally employed staff employed by the UK Government in Afghanistan since 2001.
2. Number of locally employed staff who disappeared while employed by the UK Government. My definition of disappeared would be any member of staff who failed to return to work either the following day or after a period of leave.
3. What steps were taken to attempt to locate the staff members who disappeared?
4. How many of those who disappeared were not found?
5. How many of those who disappeared are known to have been killed?
6. How many locally employed staff resigned due to having received threats because of their employment?
7. How many locally employed staff were sacked due to having received threats as a result of their employment?
Support to former Locally Employed Staff
"If you ask for a written response we will provide you with one; however, you should be aware that holding such information may put you at risk of further intimidation."
How many former locally employed staff have requested a written response and how many of those requests have been refused?
2. Is it correct that it is UK Government policy to refuse to provide former employees still residing in Afghanistan with proof of employment (HR Letter) to aid them in obtaining employment elsewhere? If this is true, why is the UK Government willing to provide intimidation responses in writing but not proof of employment?
3. What is the specific procedure for former Locally Employed Staff currently residing in Afghanistan to obtain copies of their personnel files and other data held on them under the Data Protection Act?
4. For how long does the UK Government hold the personal data of former Afghan locally employed staff? What specific information is held and for what length of time is it held?
Dear Ms Curling,
Please see attached a reply to your request for information.
Army Sec Discl&Lit Ldr | Army HQ | IDL 24 | Blenheim Bldg | Marlborough Lines | Monxton Road | Andover | SP11 8HJ | Group Email: [email address] I
This e-mail (and any attachments to it) is in confidence and is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any personal information contained in it is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA98) and must be treated in accordance with DPA principles. If you are not the intended recipient you are asked to notify the sender and delete the mail (and any attached files) from your system immediately. You are not to take copies or disclose the information to anyone else. You should also note that email traffic on MOD systems is subject to monitoring, recording and auditing to secure the effective operation of the system and for other purposes.