Levels of student rents in university controlled accommodation

Sian Berry made this Freedom of Information request to University of the Arts London

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear University of the Arts London,

I would like to make a request for a comprehensive breakdown of
student rent levels at all university-owned, or formally affiliated
private accommodation, available this year for undergraduate
students at the University of the Arts London.

The information, covering the bullet points below, should be
provided for each building or house that is offered for rent to
undergraduate students, whether owned and run by the university or
by a private provider.

For the university as a whole, I would like to ask:

1. The total number of undergraduates studying with the university
in the current academic year, broken down by
college/university/institute, year of study, and whether they are
domestic or international students, or mature students.

2. The total number of places available in halls or university
controlled accommodation in this academic year.

3. Details of any financial support provided in this academic year
through the university that is intended to help with accommodation
costs, including the number of such bursaries and the amounts.

For each hall of residence, building or house offered for rent to
students through the university, I would like to ask:

1. The name of the accommodation, the owner or provider, and its
address including postcode

2. The total number of rooms

3. The number of rooms available to undergraduates

4. Any rooms reserved for, or only marketed to, specific groups,
such as international students, UK-based students, students on
particular courses, from particular colleges within the university,
or those receiving bursaries or financial help.

5. The rents for the rooms, broken down by the cost of rent per
week per person and the number at each rent level – e.g. 12 single
rooms at XX cost, 12 twin rooms at XX cost. If the rents in a hall
vary in a complex way, an average rent, lowest rent and highest
rent is sufficient information.

6. The Energy Efficiency Rating and Environmental Impact Rating for
the (whole building’s) Energy Performance Certificate, if

Finally, if the university has recorded any information, e.g. via a
survey, on the levels of rents paid by students renting privately
outside the university’s own accommodation system, please provide a
summary of this information too, or a link to where these results
can be found online.

Note on data protection:

I am aware that the details of the owners of some halls may be
commercially confidential, and so a trading name or a suitable
category of owner would be a useful substitute in these cases. Also
that the addresses of individual houses that are formally rented
out to students through the university may be protected by data
protection legislation and I am happy for this to be redacted and
only the first part of the postcode given.

The data should not include private homes where students are
renting independently from private landlords that are not linked to
the university in a formal way – e.g. via an exclusive contract.

Yours faithfully,

Sian Berry

Sheila Suso-Runge, University of the Arts London

The University acknowledges receipt
Sheila Suso-Runge
University of the arts London

show quoted sections

Sheila Suso-Runge, University of the Arts London

3 Attachments

Dear Sian Berry

Please find attached information sent in reply tom your recent FOI
request.   Further information can be found in our publication scheme, as

The information you requested on student accommodation can be found online
in the public domain by following the links to

The information you requested on student fees and funding can be found
online in the public domain by following the links to

Both of these sites provide detailed information on halls, rents, rooms
and the various available sources of students financial support.

Information on UAL finances can be found online  at [3]www.arts.ac.uk by
following the links to the university’s published financial statements


Sheila Suso-Runge

Legal services

University of the Arts London


This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and
may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this email and/or its attachments you must not take any
action based upon them and you must not copy or show them to anyone.
Please send the email back to us and immediately and permanently delete it
and its attachments. Where this email is unrelated to the business of
University of the Arts London or of any of its group companies the
opinions expressed in it are the opinions of the sender and do not
necessarily constitute those of University of the Arts London (or the
relevant group company). Where the sender's signature indicates that the
email is sent on behalf of London Artscom Limited the following also
applies: London Artscom Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales under company number 02361261. Registered Office: University of the
Arts London, 272 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY


Visible links
1. http://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/accom...
2. http://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/stude...
3. http://www.arts.ac.uk/